Sunday, February 16, 2020

ATM stolen in Tughlakabad Extension

16/02/2020, PRESS TRUST OF INDIA,NEW DELHI

An ATM in south-east Delhi’s Tughlakabad Extension was stolen by some unidentified people, following which a case has been registered, the police said on Saturday.

The police received a call about the theft on Saturday morning following which senior officers visited the scene of the crime.

According to the police, some unidentified people came in a four-wheeler and fled with the automated teller machine (ATM).

A case has been lodged and teams are working to identify and arrest the suspects, a senior officer said.
Testing times for a State mired in exam scams

T.N. has seen a string of cases of exam fraud in recent times. The TNPSC scam — the latest to rock the State — may have not even come to light, if not for the suspicions raised by a few candidates. Moreover, with fraudsters employing increasingly innovative methods to game the system, investigators have their work cut out.

16/02/2020, S. VIJAY KUMAR

When it comes to examination fraud, Tamil Nadu has hit the headlines on quite a few occasions in the recent past. Be it in the case of the infamous question paper leak ahead of the police recruitment examination in 2005 or the sensational National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET) impersonation scam in 2019, the suspects had come up with novel ways to game the system.

The NEET scam was innovative, in that candidates from Tamil Nadu had hired proxies to take the test on their behalf in other centres across north India to gain admission into medical colleges. In another case, a serving IPS officer was caught cheating in the Civil Services Examination in Chennai. It was found that his wife and an associate had been dictating the answers to him from Hyderabad through a mini wireless earpiece. He was caught following a tip-off from the Central intelligence agencies.

The latest exam scam to rock the State is the one involving the Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission (TNPSC). The Crime Branch-CID of the Tamil Nadu police, which is investigating the case, has arrested dozens of suspects so far, including candidates, government employees and middlemen.

The TNPSC scam surfaced when a few candidates questioned how it could be that around 40 of the top 100 candidates who had cleared the Group-IV examination had taken the test at the Rameswaram and Keelakarai centres in Ramanathapuram district. Had they not flagged the issue, the scam may, perhaps, have not come to light at all. The TNPSC was quick to react by ordering an internal probe. After prima facie evidence of serious irregularities was established, a formal complaint was lodged with the CB-CID for further investigation.

It didn’t take much time for the agency to question the suspects and unravel the truth. But what emerged was an unprecedented fraud in the history of competitive examinations. The investigators established that the answer scripts had been tampered with to favour select candidates who had appeared for the exam at the centres in question. As many as 39 of the top 100 candidates who had passed the examination had indeed written the test at the centres in Ramanathapuram district, though they all belonged to other districts.

Vanishing ink

S. Jayakumar of Chennai is alleged to have been the man behind the scam. He had chalked out a meticulous plan by colluding with a few TNPSC officials. The gang of fraudsters had contacted around 100 candidates and had asked them to opt for either the Rameswaram or the Keelakarai centre. The modus operandi was that the candidates would use two pens. First, an ordinary pen would be used to write the registration number. Then, another pen, filled with evaporating ink, would be used to mark answers for the objective-type questions.

The candidates were told that the markings made with the evaporating ink will vanish after a couple of hours, and that the correct answers will be entered later. A TNPSC Record Clerk, entrusted with the task of transporting the answer scripts to Chennai, colluded with Jayakumar and gave him access to the sealed bundles. In filmy style, the suspects moved the answer scripts from one vehicle to another and made fresh entries. The answer scripts that were tampered with were replaced in the designated vehicle, which reached the TNPSC headquarters the following day. The question of why the seals on the vehicle’s door and the bundles were not checked properly by the officials who received the scripts remains a part of the investigation.

While the CB-CID was focusing on the Group-IV Services examination, information from different sources pointed to Jayakumar’s role in irregularities in other examinations conducted by the TNPSC earlier. In-depth inquiries with suspects and sources led to the shocking revelation that Jayakumar had also helped candidates pass the Village Administrative Officer (VAO) and Group-IIA Services examinations in 2016 and 2017, respectively.

The Investigating Officer has begun the process of summoning and examining the candidates who had paid the suspects to help them pass the Group-IV Services examination. The CB-CID’s Director General of Police, M.S. Jaffar Sait, recently formed a Special Investigation Team (SIT), led by a senior police officer, to exclusively probe the scam. So far, the police have arrested 41 persons who were allegedly involved in the Group-IIA Services, VAO and Group-IV Services recruitment exam scams. Many of the arrested persons were in government service before being suspended.

The fraud in the Group-IIA Services exam was different. Jayakumar and his associates had told the suspect candidates not to attempt the questions to which they didn’t know the answers. The candidates left many questions unanswered, since the norm of recording the number of questions answered was not in force then.

When the answer script bundles were being moved from the Sub-Treasury office to Chennai by road, the suspects intervened at an opportune moment and broke open the seal. They moved the answer scripts to another vehicle and marked the right answers to the unanswered questions. An investigation is on to ascertain who provided the answers to the questions. In one case, the gang made fresh entries in black ink, while the candidate had used blue ink to attempt a few questions. The usage of different colours of ink in the answer scripts was in itself a reason to suspect foul play, but the candidate went on to pass the test and join government service, though he was arrested after the scam was exposed. The investigators have referred suspicious answer scripts for forensic analysis.

With suspicions being raised about irregularities in recruitment to other posts, the TNPSC, which has the answer scripts for the examinations held in the last five years, has been conducting random checks based on certain parameters to rule out irregularities. Acting on reports that suspicions were being raised over the recruitment of Junior Engineer (Architects), the Commission had conducted a thorough check of the answer scripts and had come out with a clarification ruling out foul play. In a bid to strengthen the system further, the Commission had rolled out reforms, including measures that made the process of recruitment more transparent.

Aadhaar a must

A significant move towards establishing the identities of the candidates was a rule making the Aadhaar card mandatory for appearing for the examinations conducted by the TNPSC. The fingerprints of the candidates would have to be verified before they were allowed to write the examination.

The exam timings were revised. An entire hour was allocated for ensuring the genuineness of candidates and completing other formalities before the commencement of the examination. Marking answers for all questions was made compulsory, and a new option, ‘E’, apart from the existing ‘A’, ‘B’, ‘C’ and ‘D’, was brought in for candidates who did not know the answer to any given question. If any question was left unanswered, the answer script would become invalid. Besides, an internal inquiry was ordered to identify the staff who had colluded with the suspects involved in the scam.

But was the involvement of the main suspect limited to the TNPSC examinations? CB-CID sources said no evidence of his involvement in the 2015 Group-I examination scam had surfaced so far.

The interrogation of a few middlemen linked to the case revealed that Jayakumar was closely associated with a few persons in the Directorate of Public Instruction (DPI) complex, which houses the School Education Department. Investigators are now looking at the possibility of the suspect having played a role in other examinations in recent years. The storage devices and mobile phones seized from the premises of the suspects have been referred for forensic analysis, the outcome of which, the police say, could give more leads.

TNUSRB shocker

Even as the TNPSC scam sent shockwaves across Tamil Nadu, irregularities were reported in the recruitment of Grade-II police constables, prison warders and firemen conducted by the Tamil Nadu Uniformed Services Recruitment Board (TNUSRB). Around 1,000 candidates, who had appeared for the examination in centres across the State, were found to have submitted fake certificates for appointment under the 10% sports quota.

The TNUSRB had advertised the recruitment to as many as 8,888 vacant posts in the Police, Fire & Rescue Services and Prison Departments late last year. As many as 3.25 lakh candidates wrote the examination in 32 districts, and 47,000 of them cleared it and appeared for the Physical Efficiency Test.

Nearly 8,800 candidates who had qualified for appointment were called for certificate verification. However, during the process, it was found that at least 1,000 candidates claiming appointment under the 10% sports quota had submitted ‘ineligible’ certificates. The associations that had issued the sports certificates were not recognised by the Sports Development Authority of Tamil Nadu, and hence, were not competent to issue such certificates. The TNUSRB rejected the claims and brought the candidates concerned under the general quota. No decision has been taken yet to refer the matter to an investigation agency to probe the possibility of unrecognised sports associations issuing such certificates in exchange for cash.

Opposition parties, led by the DMK, have demanded a probe by the Central Bureau of Investigation into the TNPSC recruitment scams. While the CB-CID was able to unravel the modus operandi and arrest the suspects in the TNPSC-related frauds, not much progress has been made in apprehending the proxies in the NEET scam, since it is suspected that all of them are residing outside Tamil Nadu. The agency has sent the photographs/biometrics of the accused — suspected to be medics — to the National Medical Commission, the Unique Identification Authority of India, the Director-General of Health Services, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, among other institutions, seeking their assistance in tracking down the proxies.

ILLUSTRATION: R. RAJESH
MKU VC issues memo to Controller of Examinations

16/02/2020, STAFF REPORTER,MADURAI

Vice-Chancellor of Madurai Kamaraj University M. Krishnan and Registrar (in-charge) N. Sankar have issued a memo to the Controller of Examinations (CoE) O. Ravi regarding an unauthorised person accessing the University’s consolidated marksheets at the CoE’s room.

On January 23, the VC confronted Mr. Ravi after an individual owning a distance education centre in Periyakulam in Theni district was found looking through a series of marksheets.

The Vice-Chancellor said that the issue will be discussed with the Syndicate later.
Air passenger from Singapore admitted to GH with fever symptoms
16/02/2020, STAFF REPORTER,TIRUCHI

A 26-year-old man on Saturday was admitted in the isolation ward for COVID-19 at Mahatma Gandhi Memorial Government Hospital after the thermal screen at the international airport detected symptoms of fever.

The passenger, who had been working in Singapore, arrived in Tiruchi on Saturday to visit his family.

R. Yeganathan, Medical Superintendent, Mahatma Gandhi Memorial Government Hospital, said the patient was under observation of a team of doctors, including a pulmonologist, and a team of nurses.

“No sample to conduct test for COVID-19 has been lifted as the blood test did not show any indicators,” he said.

“The patient is under observation . His vitals are all stable. The X-ray and blood tests showed normalcy. We will continue to monitor him for at least a few weeks,” he added.

Meanwhile, another patient undergoing treatment at the isolation ward was recovering.

He returned from Ningbo city on January 31 with fever and sore throat. He was under observation in the isolation ward since then. There was, however, nothing to worry about.

“The patient will be sent home to Viralimalai soon,” Dr. Yeganathan said.
Doctor, nurses blamed for death of pregnant woman

16/02/2020, SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT,MADURAI

The Vikkramangalam police have registered a case of suspicious death of a pregnant woman P. Sangeetha, 25, who died at the Government Hospital in Usilampatti on Thursday.

The husband of the deceased R. Pandi, 27, said the pregnant woman was admitted to the Primary Health Centre at Vikkramangalam for delivery.

However, the medical officer, Vijayalakshmi and nurses did not treat her immediately, he alleged. Later, Sangeetha was shifted to the Government Hospital in Usilampatti, where she died. Pandi accused the medical officer and the nurses of negligence that led to death of his wife.

Man arrested

M. Venkateshkumar, 38, of Parapathi, was arrested on charges of murdering his cousin M. Suresh, 25, at the village on Thursday. The police said that Suresh, who was drunk, had quarrelled with Venkateshkumar and attempted to assault him with a sword. However, Venkateshkumar managed to escape and pushed him down. As he trampled on his neck, Suresh died on the spot. All the relatives and friends cremated the body without informing the police. The Koodakovil police have registered a case of murder and also for causing disappearance of evidence.

Whistleblower attacked

The Kalligudi police have booked seven persons in connection with an attempt to murder of G. Gurusamy, 45, of Kalligudi on Thursday night. Police said while Gurusamy was sleeping at Sennampatti, he was assaulted with a machete and wooden logs. He was admitted to a private hospital in Virudhunagar. The victim complained that only because he had complained about R. Kalanidhi, 30, of Kurayur about illegal sand mining, the accused, along with others, assaulted him with an intention to murder him.

M. Pandi, 56, of K. Sennampatti was arrested.
Varanasi rickshaw-puller receives letter from PM

He had sent a wedding invitation

16/02/2020, INDO-ASIAN NEWS SERVICE ,VARANASI

A rickshaw-puller in Varanasi was overjoyed to receive a letter from Narendra Modi after he had sent the Prime Minister an invitation to his daughter’s wedding.

Mr. Modi’s letter reached Mangal Kevat, who lives in Domri village that has been adopted by the Prime Minister, on Thursday. It congratulated the family on the joyous occasion. “Some of my friends asked me to send an invitation to Modiji so I sent one to Delhi and one to his Varanasi office. I never expected a response but now that we have got his letter, we are overjoyed. I have shown the letter to all guests at my daughter’s wedding,” Mr. Kevat said. In the letter, Mr. Modi sent his blessings and best wishes to the bride and her family.

Mr. Kevat is an active participant in the Swachh Bharat campaign.

The PM, during the BJP’s membership campaign, had enrolled him as a member.
Doctors warn against use of weight-loss drug

Lorcaserin linked to risk of cancer: FDA

16/02/2020, SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT,NEW DELHI

Indian doctors have cautioned against the use of lorcaserin (brand name Belviq or Belviq XR), a weight-loss drug that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration recently said is linked to a “possible increased risk of cancer.”

“Lorcaserin has been withdrawn from the U.S. market after caution by the FDA because of cancer risk. We have been using this drug to help reduce weight but were not impressed by results. We are now informing all our patients,” said endocrinologist Anoop Misra.

The FDA requested the drug manufacturer to voluntarily withdraw lorcaserin, after a post-marketing trial with more than 12,000 subjects revealed an increased occurrence of cancer. The agency also said that healthcare professionals should stop prescribing the drug to patients.

“Contact patients currently taking lorcaserin, inform them of the increased occurrence of cancer seen in the clinical trial, and ask them to stop taking the medicine,” it advised.

The decision is based on the agency’s review of the five-year trial which was designed to evaluate cardiac health risk with the drug and ended in 2018. There was one additional cancer observed for every 470 patients treated for a year.

NEWS TODAY 24.05.2026