Thursday, June 18, 2015

MUHS acts againstMUHS acts against GMCH ex-department head

NAGPUR: The Maharashtra University of Health Sciences (MUHS) has taken action against Prof Arun Humne, former head of the preventive and social medicine or community medicine department at the Government Medical College and Hospital (GMCH). He was found guilty of harassing a post graduate student (Dr Dadasaheb Dhage) in an independent enquiry conducted by the university.

Humne has been barred from being appointed on any examination related administrative or academic body or any other work related to these fields. The university has also prohibited him from taking any post graduate degree or diploma students for next three years (2015-16 to 2017-18). This has been communicated to dean GMCH Dr A Niswade through a letter from MUHS registrar Kashinath D Garkal.

The letter dated June 12, but received by the college on Tuesday, says that since an inquiry was on against Dr Humne at both college and state government level for breach of discipline, the university is taking such action to set an example so that no teacher ever dares to harass his/her students.

Dr Dhage had complained to the university on February 25, 2015. The university had constituted a committee which conducted the investigations. Dr Humne was called to present his side on May 29 in MUHS office. After the submission of the report to the MUHS vice chancellor, the decision to punish Humne was communicated to the GMCH dean.

Dr Humne has been found guilty of same charge of harassing PG students earlier too. At that time, he had been indicted by college inquiry committee consisting of chairman committee and head of pulmonary medicine Prof SV Ghorpade, head of skin department Prof RP Singh and second professor of gynaecology Prof Deshmukh. Dr Humne was removed from the post of professor and head after the committee's report.

The university committee was headed by dean of Indira Gandhi Government Medical College (IGGMC) Dr Prakash Wakode, and included dean of Government Dental College (GDC) and Dr S Gangne, professor and head of pathology at Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical College (MGIMS), Sewagram.

The Maharashtra Association of Resident Doctors (MARD) central wing had proposed a state wide stir against Dr Humne. But the association took back the strike following an assurance from medical education minister Vinod Tawde last Friday.

The chief minister is also learnt to have okayed Humne's transfer to Akola. The order is likely to reach the directorate of medical education and research (DMER) on Thursday. GMCH may get it tomorrow or day after.

AIPMT fallout: MCI to revise MBBS admission schedule


The Medical Council of India today said it would have to revise the counselling schedule for admission to AIPMT quota MBBS and BDS seats and will be in a position to revisit the calendar only after the CBSE finalises test dates.

The MCI had previously asked all state government medical colleges, which reserve 15 per cent seats for the central AIMPT quota, to conclude the first round of counselling by June 26 and allocate seats.

“The Supreme Court’s order for a retest is the law of the land. The schedules issued earlier were based on the premise that the AIPMT results would be declared in time and the counselling could be held by June 26. We need not inform the states. It is natural that everything will have to wait till the next AIPMT test date comes out. We will have to reschedule the counselling once results are out,” MCI President Jayshree Mehta said.

The government medical colleges in all states have AIPMT central quota of 15 per cent except Andhra and Jammu and Kashmir. Besides, 10 states and UTs also fill their medical and dental seats on the basis of AIPMT results.

These are Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Andaman and Nicobar, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Odisha, Rajasthan and Chandigarh.

The following institutions from this year consented to use AIPMT merit list for admission to MBBS/BDS seats under their control — University of Delhi Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC), Pune, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi (UP) and Hamdard University, New Delhi.

Although the Centre has refused to renew Harmdard Institute of Medical Sciences, Delhi’s request to admit MBBS students this session, the rest of the institutes would have to wait for the new MCI schedules to fill seats.

State governments, meanwhile, are unsure of whether the MCI is asking for a blanket ban on counselling or it is only asking them to wait to fill the central quota seats.

“We have planned to go ahead with the counselling to fill the state quota seats of 85 per cent by June 26 as per the previous first round counselling schedule issued by the MCI. If the MCI asks us for a blanket ban in writing, we will stop the counselling altogether. Otherwise we will fill the 85 per cent state quota medical seats and keep the 15 per cent seats vacant for the central pool,” said Husan Lal, in charge of Medical Education, Punjab.

MCI chief Mehta, however, said there was no requirement for written information to states. “It is understood that counseling will have to be kept in abeyance till AIPMT results come out,” she said.

Impossible to Re-Conduct Medical Entrance in 4 Weeks: CBSE Tells Supreme Court


NEW DELHI: CBSE today told the Supreme Court it will be "impossible" for it to re-conduct in four weeks the scrapped All India Pre Medical Test-2015 exam as directed by the top court.

A bench of justices RK Agrawal and AM Sapre decided to take up a petition of Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) seeking reconsideration of the Supreme court's June 15 order to hold afresh the AIPMT-2915 in four weeks after Solicitor General Ranjit Kumar mentioned the matter before it.


Mr Kumar told the Supreme court that it is impossible to re-conduct the exam within the time frame decided by the Supreme Court.

He said that the board (CBSE) was overburdened with work of conducting seven exams simultaneously and it needed at least three months time to conduct the exam afresh.

The Supreme Court had on June 15 scrapped the AIPMT-2015 and had ordered re-conduct of the examination within four weeks.

The top court had directed the re-examination in view of large-scale cheating in the test with students getting answers in the examination hall at many places.

Earlier, while reserving its order on June 12, the court had said the examination stands vitiated even if one student is being benefited illegally.

It had said that CBSE could not be held guilty as such but taking into consideration the past incidents, "CBSE ought to have been cognisant of these things".

CBSE, however, had opposed the contentions seeking cancellation of the test, saying, "6.3 lakh students cannot be made to take the exam afresh when only 44 students have been found involved in taking benefits through unfair means."

Earlier, the vacation bench had asked Haryana Police to file a fresh report indicating the number of beneficiaries of the alleged irregularities in the pre-medical examination.

It had also asked police to identify as many candidates as possible who had been benefited from the alleged leak.

CBSE was to declare the results of AIPMT, taken by over six lakh students, on June 5 but it was stayed by the Supreme Court.

The court had said, "The bigger issue is that the sanctity of the examination is under suspicion. We want to be doubly sure that there is no alternative but to order re-conduct of the exam," adding that it did not want to take a decision "in haste".

எம்.பி.பி.எஸ். கலந்தாய்வு நாளை தொடக்கம்: ஓமந்தூரார் வளாகத்தில் நவீன வசதிகள்

தமிழகத்தில் எம்.பி.பி.எஸ்.-பி.டி.எஸ். முதல் கட்டக் கலந்தாய்வு வெள்ளிக்கிழமை (ஜூன் 19) தொடங்குகிறது.
கலந்தாய்வு நடைபெற உள்ள சென்னை ஓமந்தூரார் அரசு பல்நோக்கு உயர் சிறப்பு மருத்துவமனை அரங்குகளில் பெற்றோர், மாணவர்களுக்காக நவீன வசதிகளைச் செய்யும் பணி தீவிரமாக நடைபெற்று வருகிறது.
இது தொடர்பாக மக்கள் நல்வாழ்வுத் துறை சார்பில் புதன்கிழமை வெளியிடப்பட்ட அறிக்கை:-
எம்.பி.பி.எஸ். முதல் கட்டக் கலந்தாய்வு வெள்ளிக்கிழமை (ஜூன் 19) முதல் ஜூன் 25-ஆம் தேதி வரை நடைபெற உள்ளது. மாற்றுத் திறனாளிகள் உள்ளிட்ட சிறப்புப் பிரிவினருக்கு முதல் நாளான வெள்ளிக்கிழமை கலந்தாய்வு நடைபெற உள்ளது.
இந்த நிலையில், எம்.பி.பி.எஸ்.-பி.டி.எஸ். முதல் கட்டக் கலந்தாய்வு நடைபெற உள்ள சென்னை வாலாஜா சாலையில் உள்ள ஓமந்தூரார் அரசு பல் நோக்கு உயர் சிறப்பு மருத்துவமனை அரங்குகளில் செய்யப்பட்டுள்ள முன் ஏற்பாடுகளை தமிழக சுகாதாரத் துறை அமைச்சர் சி.விஜயபாஸ்கர், சுகாதாரத் துறையின் செயலர் ஜெ.ராதாகிருஷ்ணன், மருத்துவக் கல்வி இயக்குநர் டாக்டர் எஸ்.கீதாலட்சுமி, மருத்துவக் கல்வி தேர்வுக் குழு செயலர் டாக்டர் உஷா சதாசிவம் உள்ளிட்டோர் புதன்கிழமை பார்வையிட்டனர்.
12 எல்.இ.டி. திரைகள்: கலந்தாய்வு நடைபெறும்போது அரசு மருத்துவக் கல்லூரிகள், அரசு பல் மருத்துவக் கல்லூரி, சுயநிதி மருத்துவக் கல்லூரிகளில் (அரசு ஒதுக்கீட்டு இடங்கள்) ஆகியவற்றில் நிரப்பப்படும் எம்.பி.பி.எஸ்.-பி.டி.எஸ். இடங்கள், காலியிடங்கள் குறித்து பெற்றோரும் மாணவரும் உடனுக்குடன் தெரிந்து கொள்ளும் வகையில் 12 எல்.இ.டி. திரைகள் அமைக்கப்பட உள்ளன. அதாவது, கலந்தாய்வு நடைபெற உள்ள கூட்ட அரங்குகளில் மிகப் பெரிய அளவில் 4 எல்.இ.டி. திரைகள், அரங்குக்கு வெளியே 4 எல்.இ.டி. திரைகள், மாணவர்கள்-பெற்றோர் அமரும் நிழற்கூடத்தில் 4 எல்.இ.டி. திரைகள் என மொத்தம் 12 எல்.இ.டி. திரைகள் அமைக்கப்பட்டு வருகின்றன.
வங்கி வசதி: கலந்தாய்வில் பங்கேற்கும் மாணவர்கள் வரைவோலை எடுக்கவும், பணம் செலுத்தவும் தாற்காலிகமாக கணினிமயமாக்கப்பட்ட வங்கி வசதியும் செய்யப்பட உள்ளது. ஒரே சமயத்தில் 5 மாணவர்கள் அமர்ந்து, அரசு மருத்துவக் கல்லூரியைத் தேர்வு செய்ய வசதியாக 5 கணினிகளும் கலந்தாய்வுக் கூட்டத்தில் இடம்பெறும். மேலும் மாணவர்கள்-பெற்றோர் அமர்வதற்கு வசதியாக சிறப்பு மருத்துவமனையின் வெளிப்புறப் பகுதியில் மிகப் பெரிய பந்தல், குடிநீர் வசதி, சிற்றுண்டி வசதி, கழிப்பறை வசதி ஆகியவையும் செய்யப்பட்டு வருகின்றன.
கலந்தாய்வு இடம் மாற்றம் ஏன்? கடந்த ஆண்டு வரை சென்னை கீழ்ப்பாக்கம் அரசு மருத்துவக் கல்லூரி அரங்கில் எம்.பி.பி.எஸ்.-பி.டி.எஸ். கலந்தாய்வு நடத்தப்பட்டது. சென்னை மெட்ரோ ரயில் பணிகள் கீழ்ப்பாக்கம் பகுதியில் நடைபெறுவதாலும், மாணவர்கள்-பெற்றோர் வசதிக்காகவும் இந்த ஆண்டுக்கான கலந்தாய்வு ஓமந்தூரார் அரசு பல்நோக்கு உயர் சிறப்பு மருத்துவமனையில் உள்ள அரங்குகளில் நடத்தப்படுகிறது என்று அந்தச் செய்திக்குறிப்பில் கூறப்பட்டுள்ளது.

CMCH seals forged for medical certificates

The seals of doctors at the Coimbatore Medical College Hospital were found to have been forged for getting medical certificates to avail various Government concessions.

According to hospital officials, a person had approached the Ophthalmology Department and sought a certificate stating that he had lost vision in both eyes. However, he was certified to have lost vision only in one eye. He had sought the certificate for availing concessional fare in the railway tickets.

Later, when the certificate came to the hospital for verification, it was found to state that he had lost vision in both eyes.

He was called to the hospital on Wednesday for inquiry during which he allegedly told them that he had purchased the forged seals from a person near the railway junction. Following this, he was handed over to the police outpost at hospital.

Educationists cite flaws in ad for MKU V-C post

A coalition of educationists, academics, retired civil servants and social activists have sent a memorandum to Governor K. Rosaiah on Tuesday citing flaws in the advertisement inviting applications for the post of Vice-Chancellor (V-C) of Madurai Kamaraj University.

The advertisement was issued on the May 31 in certain newspapers inviting applications for the post. In April, the government constituted a search committee to select three names and submit them to Mr. Rosaiah, the Chancellor.

The memorandum states that the advertisement, which is available on the website, does not contain the clause for candidates to declare that no criminal case is pending against them.

It alleges that “there appears to be an agenda to help someone with vested interest to apply and get nominated as Vice-Chancellor.”

The coalition has appealed to the Governor to “pre-empt such vested interests” and ensure only candidates with unquestionable credentials and academic track record are short-listed for new VC’s post.

IIT-Kanpur chairman M. Anandakrishnan, former IAS officers D.K. Oza and M.G. Devasahayam; former V-Cs B. Markandan and Vasanthi Devi; educationist S.S. Rajagopalan; development activist A. Narayanan; advocate B.S. Ajeetha; and Henry Tiphagne of Peoples’ Watch are among the signatories of the memorandum.

“There appears to be an agenda to help someone with vested interest to apply and get nominated”

‘Digital India’ initiative to take books, certificates & IDs online

NEW DELHI: Problems like not being able to locate an old Class X certificate needed to renew a passport or for some other official work may get sorted out easily. Even scholarship opportunities in India will be on one platform which will ensure easy application process and disbursement, but most importantly no missing out on opportunities.

Come July 1, 2015, Government of India is planning to launch under 'Digital India' a number of ambitious projects like eBasta on which all NCERT text books as well as some State Boards' textbooks will be available online for downloading from an app free of cost. Another initiative for Aadhaar card holders will be digital locker—DigiLocker—facility which will enable Indians to secure their certificates and access them online at the click of a button. Filling up online forms using the e-sign facility and the DigiLocker will ensure elimination of usage of fake documents.

According to highly placed sources in the department of Information Technology, under the ministry of communication and information technology, these are the pet projects of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his office has been personally monitoring the preparation and implementation of the projects.

NEWS TODAY 20.08.2026