Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Previous years’ students may bag over 1,000 MBBS seats

CHENNAI: Worst fears of the latest batch of Class 12 students hoping for an MBBS seat may come true with the Tamil Nadu government on Monday telling the Madras high court that students from previous batches cannot be prevented from taking part in the ongoing admission counselling. While lawyers representing the fresh batch of students said more than 1,000 of the available 2,257 seats will be garnered by students of previous batches, owing to their better cutoff marks, the government maintained that only 548 seats may go to them, constituting a mere 24% of the seats up for grabs.

The high court reserved its orders on a petition seeking to bar Class 12 students of previous years from the MBBS admission process this year, but once again made it clear that while counselling could go ahead, authorities should not issue any allotment letters or admit cards to students till it delivers the verdict

Advocate general of Tamil Nadu A L Somayaji, arguing before a division bench headed by Justice Satish K Agnihotri on Monday, said the process of evaluation, ranking and selection of candidates were exclusively in the domain of the government's administrative functions. Making it clear that neither the Tamil Nadu Admission to Professional Educational Institutions Act nor the prospectus barred eligible students from previous batches from taking part in counselling this year, he said authorities could not traverse beyond that and deny them the opportunity.

"A judicial review of interference in educational matters is very limited, and interference is permissible only if any violation of law, statutory rules or regulations is found to be mala fide," he said, adding that no guidelines issued by the Medical Council of India or other competent authority prevented students of previous years from seeking admission to MBBS course.

On Monday, many candidates from previous years too joined the fray and argued that they could not be shut out of the counselling exercise when no rule prevented their participation. Many of them did not join any course last year, took a chance and waited for their turn this year, their counsel argued.

Earlier, seeking to drive home how even a margin of 0.25 marks would play havoc with medical ranking, V Raghavachari, counsel for fresh batch of students, said a mere quarter of a mark difference between the two batches would result in a loss of 717 seats for the students of 2014-15 batch.

Senior counsel Isaac Mohanlal, echoing similar views, said more than 50% of the available seats would go to previous years' students. This, he said, would have a cascading effect as the entire second year BDS seats would fall vacant as most of them would be able to secure MBBS admission this year. BDS seats in private colleges too would go similarly vacant, he said. Students have taken their transfer certificates to shift from BDS to MBBS or from payment seat in MBBS to free seat, he said.

The bench, reserving its orders and asking counsel for all candidates to submit two-page written submissions by Tuesday, again made it clear that while counselling could go ahead, authorities should not issue any allotment letters or admit cards to students till court delivers its verdict.

A total of 31,525 applications have been received for 2,257 medical seats this year. Of which, 4,679 students belong to previous batches, and they seek to take advantage of a big dip in cutoff marks this year.

Medical colleges struggle to get good faculty

CHENNAI: At a time when 31,000 students battle for 2,200-odd seats in Tamil Nadu this year, the state government's efforts to increase the number of MBBS seats have come a cropper. After an inspection in January, the Medical Council of India (MCI), the apex regulatory body for medical education in the country, cited faculty shortage and poor infrastructure facilities to reject TN's request to increase the seats from 150 to 250 each in Madurai, Tirunelveli and Coimbatore medical colleges. It also turned down Kanyakumari Government Medical College's request to increase seats from 100 to 150.

"In the recruitment conducted by Medical Services Recruitment Board at the end of 2014, only around 300 applications were received for the post of 1,727 assistant surgeons. Hardly 100 joined. Still there are more than 1,500 vacancies for specialists," said Tamil Nadu Government Doctors Association president Dr K Senthil.

Even if the state government takes immediate steps to rectify the issue, it will take a few years to get adequate specialists, he said. "It will take time for the existing faculty members to get promoted to associate and assistant professor cadres," he said.

Medical experts said infrastructure facilities could be improved by pumping in more money but it would not be easy to increase the number of teachers in medical colleges in the near future. For example, they said, the Tiruvannamalai Government Medical College, which was started three years ago, was managing with just 50% of the required faculty in departments like obstetrics and gynaecology. Drawing up a long-term strategy and executing it alone will help, they said.

While the shortage of teaching faculty in the Coimbatore college was 17.98%, in Tirunelveli it was 16.73%, Madurai 14.60% and Kanyakumari 18.2%.

There are plenty of vacancies in resident doctor categories as well in these colleges. For example, the shortage in this category in Tirunelveli is 26.59 %, while it is 10.20% in Kanyakumari. In October 2014, when the first inspection was conducted by MCI, Madurai had the worst shortage of 30%.

A senior health department official said it was an open secret that the authorities were managing the situation by adopting ad hoc measures like deputation. "Whenever there is an inspection, specialists are deployed from other colleges to evade the wrath of MCI. However, if MCI takes cognizance of the issue, the individual doctors will be in trouble as they stand the risk of being disqualified," he added.

While opening new colleges was welcome, the government should also focus on strengthening the existing institutions, said Doctors' Association for Social Equality general secretary Dr G R Ravindranath. "The important strategy to address the teaching faculty problem is to promote non-clinical courses," he said. Many people shunned teaching as it involved long work hours and the pay was low, he said. "The government should increase their salaries and offer promotions," said Dr Ravindranath.

Question mark over three medical colleges adds to anxiety of students

It is not just the large number of candidates from previous years who are seeking medical seats, but also the loss of as many as 450 seats in the last two years that is adding to the anxiety of students.

There is yet no news on the status of ESIC Medical College, which admitted 100 students last year, or the Chennai Medical College, Irungalathur, which is permitted to admit 150 students.

The parent of a candidate who had failed to get a seat last year said he was worried that his ward would not be called for counselling at all, though a call letter had been received.

“Since the Medical Council of India has not given permission to three self-financing medical colleges we have already lost 450 seats. Last year, in the two private colleges which agreed to the conditions laid by the Supreme Court that it would admit students as per the government’s merit list, 52 seats remained vacant. This adds to the pressure,” said Selvam (name changed) the father of a candidate from Nagarcoil.

Officials, however, said counselling would continue till June 25 for all candidates who had been sent call letters. “Candidates are waitlisted to accommodate them if seats are vacated,” an official said.

1,154 seats allotted

At the end of the second day of general counselling for MBBS on Sunday, as many as 1,154 seats were allotted. Of the 588 candidates called for counselling, 580 turned up and 546 seats in government colleges were allotted. In private medical colleges, 29 seats were taken. The new Government Medical College in Omandurar Estate had 44 vacancies at the end of Sunday.

Officials said two students had opted for PSG Medical College. “Every year, we get a few students even on the first day opting for private medical colleges. The impression that private medical colleges are better drives them,” an official said.

This year, the Directorate of Medical Education has not released the list of cut-off marks on its website. Each year, the website is updated at the end of the day with the names of students and the colleges allotted along with their cut-off marks.

Officials maintained that though they had not displayed the candidates’ name on the website, counselling was transparent. Long after the counselling ended on Sunday, visitors could view on the display screen the details of the last allotted seat and the cut-off mark of the candidate in the counselling hall and the waiting lounge.

450 seats lost as Medical Council of India is yet to give permission

சீனாவில் கொண்டாடப்படும் நாய் இறைச்சி திருவிழாவுக்கு கடும் எதிர்ப்பு; நூற்றுக்கணக்கான நாய்கள் மீட்பு




பீஜிங்,

சீனாவின் குவாங்சி மாகாணத்துக்கு உட்பட்ட யூலின் நகரில், ஆண்டுதோறும் நாய் இறைச்சி திருவிழா கொண்டாடப்பட்டு வருகிறது. கோடை சங்கராந்தி என கொண்டாடப்படும் இந்த விழாவின் போது, சமைத்த நாய் இறைச்சியை, லெச்சி எனப்படும் உணவுடன் சேர்த்து மக்கள் உண்டு மகிழ்வர்.

சீனாவில் நாய் இறைச்சி உண்பது சகஜம் என்றாலும், இந்த விழாவின் போது ஆயிரக்கணக்கான நாய்கள் கொடூரமாக கொல்லப்படுவதால், இந்த விழாவுக்கு உள்ளூர் மற்றும் சர்வதேச தன்னார்வ அமைப்புகள் கடும் எதிர்ப்பு தெரிவித்துள்ளன. ஆனால் இந்த எதிர்ப்பையும் மீறி அங்கு நாய் இறைச்சி திருவிழா நடந்து வருகிறது.

இதற்காக அங்குள்ள இறைச்சிக் கடைகளில் ஏராளமான கூண்டுகளில் நாய்கள் வைக்கப்பட்டு உள்ளன. இவை பெரும்பாலும் தெருநாய்கள் மற்றும் வீடுகளில் இருந்து திருடி வரப்பட்டவை ஆகும். இந்த ஆண்டு 10 ஆயிரம் நாய்கள் வரை வெட்டப்படும் என எதிர்பார்க்கப்படுகிறது.

இந்த விழா ஒருபுறம் நடந்து கொண்டிருக்க, அங்குள்ள தன்னார்வ தொண்டர்கள் யூலின் நகர கடைகளில் வைக்கப்பட்டுள்ள நூற்றுக்கணக்கான நாய்கள் மற்றும் பூனைகளை மீட்டு வருகின்றனர். தியான்ஜின் நகரை சேர்ந்த யாங் சியாயுன் என்ற வயதான பெண் மட்டும், சுமார் ரூ.70 ஆயிரம் பணம் கொடுத்து 100 நாய்களை மீட்டுச்சென்றது குறிப்பிடத்தக்கது.

கிரெடிட், டெபிட் கார்டு மூலம் பணம் செலுத்தினால் வரிச்சலுகை: மத்திய அரசு பரிசீலனை

புதுடெல்லி,


கரன்சி நோட்டு பயன்பாட்டை குறைப்பதற்காக, கிரெடிட், டெபிட் கார்டு மூலம் பணம் செலுத்துபவர்களுக்கு வருமான வரிச்சலுகை அளிக்க மத்திய அரசு திட்டமிட்டுள்ளது. பெட்ரோல் பங்கில் பயன்படுத்துவதற்கும், ரெயில் டிக்கெட் எடுப்பதற்கும் பரிவர்த்தனை கட்டணம் கிடையாது.


கிரெடிட் டெபிட் கார்டு மூலமான பரிவர்த்தனையை ஊக்கப்படுத்தவும், ரூபாய் நோட்டு பரிவர்த்தனையை குறைக்கவும் மத்திய அரசு விரைவில் புதிய நடவடிக்கைகளை அறிமுகப்படுத்தும் என்று மத்திய நிதி மந்திரி அருண் ஜெட்லி தனது பட்ஜெட் உரையில் கூறி இருந்தார்.
அதன்படி, ரூபாய் நோட்டு பயன்பாட்டை குறைப்பதற்காக திட்டமிடப்பட்டுள்ள புதிய நடவடிக்கைகளை மத்திய அரசு அறிவித்துள்ளது. இதுபற்றிய திட்ட வரைவை வெளியிட்டுள்ள மத்திய அரசு, அதுகுறித்து வருகிற 29-ந் தேதிக்குள் பொதுமக்கள் கருத்து தெரிவிக்கலாம் என்று கூறியுள்ளது.


இந்த திட்ட வரைவின்படி, கிரெடிட் கார்டு மற்றும் டெபிட் கார்டு மூலம் குறிப்பிட்ட அளவுக்கு பணம் செலுத்துபவர்களுக்கு வருமான வரிச்சலுகை அளிக்கப்படும். பெட்ரோல் பங்க், கியாஸ் ஏஜென்சி ஆகியவற்றில் பணம் செலுத்த கிரெடிட் கார்டு மற்றும் டெபிட் கார்டை பயன்படுத்துபவர்களுக்கும், ரெயில் டிக்கெட் எடுக்க இந்த கார்டுகளை பயன்படுத்துபவர்களுக்கும் பரிவர்த்தனை கட்டணம் கிடையாது. ஒரு லட்ச ரூபாய்க்கு மேற்பட்ட பரிவர்த்தனைகள் அனைத்தும் கிரெடிட், டெபிட் கார்டுகள் மூலம் மேற்கொள்வது கட்டாயம் ஆக்கப்படும். உள்ளிட்டவைகள் அந்த திட்ட வரைவில் கூறப்பட்டுள்ளது.

Monday, June 22, 2015

Observance of punctuality in Government Offices - Dopt orders on 22.6.2015

Observance of punctuality in Government Offices - Dopt orders on 22.6.2015

G.I., Dept. of Per.& Trg., O.M.No.11013/9/2014-Estt.A-III, dated 22.6.2015

Subject: Observance of punctuality in Government Offices.

Instructions have been issued from time to time with regard to the need to observe punctuality by Government servants. Responsibility for ensuring punctuality in respect of their employees rests within Ministries/ Departments/ Offices.

2. The decision to introduce AADHAR enabled Bio-metric Attendance System (AEBAS) in Central Government offices, including attached/ sub-ordinate offices, to replace the manual system of marking of attendance to ensure punctuality is to be implemented in all Ministries/ Departments. This Department vide O.M. of even no. dated 21.11.2014 and 28.01.2015, while recognizing that the Biometric Attendance System is only an enabling platform had, inter-alia, stated that there was no change in the instructions relating to office hours, late attendance etc.

3. In this connection attention is invited to Rule 3(1)(ii) of CCS (Conduct) Rules, 1964 which stipulates that every Government servant shall at all times maintain devotion to duty. Habitual late attendance is viewed as conduct unbecoming of a Government servant and disciplinary action may be taken against such a Government servant. It is also added that punctuality in attendance is to be observed by Government servants at all levels.

4. It is also requested that the necessary directions may be issued to all employees to mark their attendance in BAS portal on regular basis.

UGC deadline for Mahatma Gandhi University to shut down off-campus centres

The University Grants Commission (UGC) has set July 23 as deadline for the Mahatma Gandhi University to submit a compliance report after closing down its seven international and six national off-campus centres.

The apex body’s latest missive came after it turned down a request by the university Vice Chancellor in-charge Sheena Shukkur to review the decision to shut down the 13 centres functioning outside the State and abroad. The university authorities will have to close down its seven international off-campus centres at Sharjah, Doha, Bahrain, Dubai, Kuwait, Abu Dhabi and Oman and the national centres in Gujarat, Jharkhand, Maharashtra, West Bengal, Karnataka and the Union Territory of New Delhi before July 23 as per the UGC directive.

The Hindu had reported on June 24 that the Distance Education Bureau (DEB) of the commission found that the centres were opened in violation of the UGC guidelines on territorial jurisdiction. In a letter dated July 8 sent to the Vice Chancellor, D.K. Rao, Deputy Director of DEB, has requested the university not to admit any students in the programmes offered through distance mode for the year 2014-15.

The DEB letter pointed out that the UGC has been time and again requesting the State universities to limit offering their programmes within the territorial jurisdiction of their Act and statutes but not beyond the boundary of the respective State of their enactment.

“The State university is not authorised/competent to open study centres/off campus centres beyond the territorial jurisdiction of the State as per the judgement of the Hon’ble Supreme Court in the case of Prof. Yashpal vs. State of Chhattisgarh,” it said.

The regulatory body recalled that it had written to all the universities or State governments on April 16, 2009, to stop all State or State private universities from operating beyond the territorial jurisdiction in any manner either in the form of off-campus or study centre or affiliated college and the centres opened through franchises. University officials said the UGC’s latest directive would be discussed at the syndicate meeting to be held on July 19.

NEWS TODAY 22.08.2026