Tuesday, June 9, 2020

TNSTC buses in Trichy start getting crowded


TNSTC buses in Trichy start getting crowded

Deepak.Karthik@timesgroup.com

09.06.2020

Trichy: A week after TNSTC (Tamil Nadu State Transport Corporation) resumed services, Trichy region has witnessed a two-fold increase in passenger footfall. Although ensuring social distancing has become an uphill task for TNSTC crew, passengers were found tendering exact change for purchasing travel tickets to avoid cash exchange due to Covid-19 scare.

TNSTC Trichy operates 180 city buses and 150 mofussil buses covering seven central districts. For the districts in other TNSTC zones, the buses are operated till the borders of Trichy district with Karur, Namakkal, Madurai and Dindigul districts.

As labourers from central districts heading to textile units in Tirupur and Karur are gradually increasing, TNSTC said that Trichy-Karur buses operated till Pettaivaithalai has witnessed a drastic surge in footfall. Buses on other routes such as Trichy-Thanjavur have also seen increased patronage due to office goers.

“From 10-15 passengers per bus from the origin point of the service, the number has increased to 25 per bus within a week. Police support was sought whenever we need to control unruly passengers,” a senior official with TNSTC Trichy said.

Crew members of mofussil TNSTC fleets said that passengers are bringing exact change for tickets, an unusual practice prior to the lockdown. “Passengers tender the exact change as they don’t want the cash or coins in our possession since the money would have come from many hands,” a conductor on Trichy-Pettaivaithalai bus added.

As there is a surge in patronage so is the difficulty in maintaining social distancing. Though the buses at the station of origin manage to ensure social distancing, it becomes difficult at intermediate bus stops with many passengers waiting. Such difficulties are not witnessed by point-to-point buses. “Though all the passengers wear facemasks, they confront us if we insist them not to sit too close,” another TNSTC crew member added.

Since private city and mofussil buses are not being operated in Trichy, a TNSTC official said that the patronage for buses is gradually increasing each day.


LIFE GOES ON

Some restaurants reopen, but customers stay away


Some restaurants reopen, but customers stay away

Yogesh.Kabirdoss@timesgroup.com

09.06.2020

Restaurants in Chennai gave preference to takeaway services over dine-in as businesses resumed on Monday after more than 70 days.

While the footfall was poor, only 10% eateries operated dine-in services, according to the owners’ association.

About 60% of eateries remained shut for a variety of reasons including absence of adequate manpower. Restaurant chains reopened selected branches but dine-in services increased the overall sale by only 5%. Industry sources said ever since the lockdown, sales at restaurants have shrunk by 80%.

K T Srinivasa Raja, managing director of Adyar Ananda Bhavan, said they opened 40 branches in and around Chennai. “We expected 200 to 300 visitors for fine dine-in on Monday. We have received about 50% to 60% of walk-ins for dine-in services. We are serving South Indian dishes,” he said.

M Ravi, president of The Chennai Hotels Association, said that 10% of additional restaurants were reopened for fine dine-in on Monday. “This pushed the number of restaurants operational in the city to 40%. However, the eateries are contemplating whether to close them again due to less footfall,” he said.

Even as footfall was poor, some curious individuals ventured out. Sameer, a city resident, who came along with his friend to an eatery in Pondy Bazaar, said he had been sourcing food from outside during the lockdown. “Now, I wanted to eat out and it drove me to the eatery on day one,” he said.

Not all restaurants followed government norms. A visit by TOI found that a leading restaurant at Pondy Bazaar was serving its customers in an airconditioned facility, while a vegetarian restaurant at Mylapore let customers sit close to each other. The state has ordered that commercial establishments cannot use airconditioners.


FEW TAKERS: A man waits for a meal at a restaurant in Chennai

Elderly at home? Maintain social distancing


Elderly at home? Maintain social distancing

Saranya.Chakrapani@timesgroup.com

09.06.2020

There’s one ritual city-based media professional Ashwin S has been following for two decades. Come home from school, college or office, head straight to the kitchen, and give his mother a tight hug before even heading to change. However, for the first time in these years, the 35-year-old has had to break the tradition.

With his mom now touching 70, he ensures she’s at a safe distance when he returns home from work in the evening and reserves the hug for later. “Ever since I got back to work, I consciously avoid groups of people inside the office, don’t use the canteen,” says Ashwin.

Living with elderly parents and grandparents calls for extreme caution as they are susceptible to infection due to old age and comorbidities. Meenu S, a Pallikaranai resident, has downloaded every app she could find to drop home the day’s milk, vegetables and provisions at a low cost without the need for physical contact. “I ensure the produce we get is thoroughly cleaned in a mixture of turmeric and neem leaves before it enters the kitchen,” she says.

Dr Abdul Ghafur, infectious diseases specialist, says youngsters stepping out for work or otherwise may try to keep a safe distance from elderly family members. “If you have symptoms like a running nose, cough or fever, stay away,” he says.

Geriatrician Dr V S Natarajan emphasizes that it is as important to keep seniors at home in good spirits during this period. “Many of them watch the news extensively and may get anxious. They may even miss physical activity like going for walks and meeting neighbours. Keep them engaged, dine with them and let them know they are safe,” he says

State plans ordinance for 10% NEET quota for govt students


State plans ordinance for 10% NEET quota for govt students

Quota Will Be A Part Of Existing Reservations

Julie.Mariappan TNN

Chennai:09.06.2020

Tamil Nadu government school students who clear NEET may get 10% horizontal reservation in medical admission from this academic year, highly placed sources told TOI. The AIADMK government may soon promulgate an ordinance on this following recommendations made by Justice P Kalaiyarasan-led commission in its report filed on Monday.

The panel was constituted by the state government last March to analyze the reason for government school students not being able to gain admission to medical colleges after it came under attack from opposition parties over the issue.

Tamil Nadu had 3,350 MBBS seats last year. In 2016, before NEET-based admissions began for MBBS, 34 students from government schools joined medical colleges in the state. In the last three years, after NEET came into effect, only 14 government school students secured admission to medical courses.

“The state government is likely to promulgate an ordinance giving effect to 10% horizontal reservation for students of government schools. It is like sportspersons, children of ex-servicemen and differently-abled getting a special reservation,” said a source. The horizontal reservation is well within the vertical reservation available to SC/ST/OBC/ general categories in education. The committee consulted a wide range of stakeholders before submitting its recommendations to reserve seats for students who studied from ‘Class VI to Class XII’ in government schools.


Panel saw justifiable grounds to provide for quota to students

Sources said the commission comprising secretaries of school education, law, and health and family welfare departments, besides educationists, took note of the cognitive gap of the students.

“In an in-depth empirical study, it was found that 85% of students come from families of daily wagers. Many factors, including environment, parental education, income, location of schools in rural areas, psychological barriers, and non-availability of private coaching centers in rural areas were considered. The panel felt there are justifiable grounds to provide reasonable quota to these students,” said a source. It also took note of the fact that 66% of the candidates who got medical seats last year were repeaters who cracked exams after failing more than once. Data from the directorate of medical education, CBSE and ICSE were used to arrive at the conclusion.

Responding to the news, G R Ravindranath, doctors’ association for social equality general secretary, said: “We welcome quota for government school students in medical admissions as it would protect government schools from shutting down besides helping the poor and downtrodden pursue medicine. The government should now focus on coaching since competitive examinations are going to determine the future of students,” he said.

While the TN government unanimously passed two bills to exempt the state from NEET,theUnion government withheld both bills after two years. A fresh petition was filed in January amid uproar in the state, challenging the amendments made to the Indian Medical Council Act and Dentists Act, making uniform entrance exam across the country mandatory. “After the introduction of NEET, the number of students of government schools getting admission in medical colleges has fallen. The government is determined not to allow such a situation in the coming years,” Palaniswami said while making a suo motu announcement to constitute the committee.

Lufthansa offers to fly in empty, take out fliers


Lufthansa offers to fly in empty, take out fliers

Saurabh . Sinha@timesgroup.com

New Delhi:09.06.2020

In a first, a major foreign airline group has sought India’s nod to operate ferry flights (without passengers) to the country and fly out passengers from here till regular services are allowed.

German major Lufthansa has requested India to allow it and group airline Swiss to fly from some metros to its hubs in Europe — Frankfurt, Munich and Zurich. At the moment, Air India’s Vande Bharat Mission flights are the only connections for flying in and out of India apart from repatriation flights organised by foreign countries. “We are willing to operate only outbound (flights with passengers) from India if we are allowed to transport all categories of persons as per the MHA order...”


‘Other carriers too willing to operate flights like Lufthansa’

We are willing to operate only outbound (flights with passengers) from India if we are allowed to transport all categories of persons as per the order of ministry of home affairs and if we can publish a schedule in advance for an entire period. We had requested this from the ministry of civil aviation,” said a Lufthansa spokesperson.

The fares on these special flights is more that the fares charged on regular schedule services. For instance, Lufthansa group’s one-way Mumbai to Zurich and Frankfurt fares start at Rs 39,743 and Rs 38,273, respectively. India has suspended schedule international services till the month-end, for now. Aviation officials say some other carriers are also willing to operate flights like the ones proposed by Lufthansa — with passengers only on outbound from India. Others say they are keen to resume flights as soon as regular services are allowed.

The Air India website witnesses millions of hits whenever the airline opens bookings for Vande Bharat Mission flights to North America.

Monday, June 8, 2020

வாடகை ரூ.4.20 லட்சம் வேண்டாம்: வியாபாரிகளுக்கு டாக்டர் இன்ப அதிர்ச்சி


வாடகை ரூ.4.20 லட்சம் வேண்டாம்: வியாபாரிகளுக்கு டாக்டர் இன்ப அதிர்ச்சி

Updated : ஜூன் 08, 2020 09:24

தஞ்சாவூர்: பட்டுக்கோட்டையில், 91 வயதாகும் டாக்டர் ஒருவர், தனக்கு சொந்தமான கட்டடத்தில், கடைகள் வைத்திருக்கும் வியாபாரிகளிடம், மூன்று மாத வாடகை பணம், 4.20 லட்சம் ரூபாய் வேண்டாம் என்று கூறி, மகிழ்ச்சி கடலில் ஆழ்த்தி உள்ளார்.

தஞ்சாவூர், பட்டுக்கோட்டையை சேர்ந்த டாக்டர் கனகரத்தினம், 91. இவரது மனைவி ராஜலட்சுமி. இவர்களுக்கு, மூன்று மகள்கள், ஒரு மகன். மகன் சுவாமிநாதன் மற்றும் மருமகள் வர்ஷாவும் டாக்டராக உள்ளனர். கனகரத்தினம், தனக்கு சொந்தமான இடத்தில், ஆறு கடைகள் கட்டி வாடகைக்கு விட்டுள்ளார்.

ஊரடங்கு காலத்தில் கடைகள் பூட்டப்பட்டிருந்தன. வியாபாரம் இல்லாத நிலையில், ஆறு கடைகளுக்கும் மாதம், 1.40 லட்சம் ரூபாய் வீதம், மார்ச், ஏப்ரல், மே ஆகிய, மூன்று மாதங்களுக்கான, ௪.20 லட்சம் ரூபாய் வாடகையை தர வேண்டாம் என தெரிவித்து, வியாபாரிகளுக்கு இன்ப அதிர்ச்சி கொடுத்தார்.இந்த மனிதநேய செயலை, அனைவரும் வெகுவாக பாராட்டி வருகின்றனர்.

டாக்டர் கனகரத்தினம் கூறுகையில், ''கொரோனா நிவாரண நிதியாக, முதல்வர் நிவாரண நிதிக்கு, 1 லட்சம் ரூபாய் வழங்கினேன். ''வியாபாரிகள் கஷ்டப்படும் போது, அதை புரிந்து கொண்டு, அவர்களுக்கு உதவி செய்வோம் என்று, மூன்று மாதங்களுக்கு வாடகை தர வேண்டாம்,'' என்றார்.

இதுகுறித்து வியாபாரிகள் கூறியதாவது: தன்னிடம் சிகிச்சைக்கு வருபவர்களிடம் இன்று வரை, 10 ரூபாய் மட்டுமே பீஸ் வாங்குகிறார். சிகிச்சை வருபவர்களை உறவாக நினைப்பவர். அதேவழியில் மகனும், மருமகளும், 50 ரூபாய் தான் பீஸ் வாங்குகின்றனர். இதுவரை அவர், 65 ஆயிரம் பிரசவம் பார்த்துள்ளார். இந்தியா, சீனா போர் நடந்த போது, போர் தளவாடங்கள் வாங்குவதற்காக, தன் மகள்களின் திருமணத்துக்காக சேமித்து வைத்திருந்த, 83 சவரன் தங்க நகையை, மத்திய அரசிடம் கொடுத்தவர். நாட்டையும், மக்களையும் நேசிக்கக் கூடியவர். அப்படிப்பட்டவர் எங்களுக்கு உதவியது, பெரும் மகிழ்ச்சியை அளிக்கிறது.இவ்வாறு அவர்கள் கூறினர்.

TN minister threatens arrest of actor for ‘false’ news on lack of hospital beds in Chennai for COVID-19 patients


TN minister threatens arrest of actor for ‘false’ news on lack of hospital beds in Chennai for COVID-19 patients

However, on Monday morning the bed status at the government’s official website stopcoronatn.in showed that general wards and ICUs in major private hospitals in the city were nearly full

Published: 08th June 2020 04:31 PM | Last Updated: 08th June 2020 04:31 PM | A+A A-

Health workers in PPE suit seen inside a Covid-19 outpatient ward at KMC Hospital in Chennai. (PHOTO | DEBADATTA MALLICK, EPS)


Express News Service

CHENNAI: Health Minister C Vijayabhaskar on Monday threatened the arrest of former Doordarshan news reader and serial actor T V Varadarajan for allegedly spreading ‘false news’ on hospital beds being unavailable.

Earlier, Varadarajan had released a video on social media alleging that an acquaintance tested positive for COVID-19 and was unable to find a hospital bed, even after making calls to top officials. He told people to stay safe at home in light of this.


Responding to this, Vijayabhaskar said the newsreader was spreading false news and threatened his arrest under the Epidemic Act.

“In Chennai alone, we have 5,000 beds in five goverment hospitals with ventilator capacity. Chennai Corporation has a capacity of 17,000 in COVID care centres. There are 75,000 beds across the state totally,’’ the Health Minister said, urging people not to spread rumours without proof.

The Minister said that the recovery rate is 56 percent and currently only six people are on ventilators in the state. “It is the doctor’s decision to admit a patient in the ICU ward. We can’t admit everyone and it is only based on conditions,’’ the Health Minister said.

He said that earlier 99 percent cases were asymptomatic and now 84 percent are asymptomatic. "Some people have ten days of symptoms and then recover. Some just recover within a few days," he said. 

However, on the contrary, when The New Indian Express on Monday morning checked the bed status at the government’s official website stopcoronatn.in, general wards and ICU in major private hospitals in the city were nearly full. But subsequently the website did not open.

Actress Kasturi Shankar tweeted about an instance of a woman unable to find a hospital bed recently while journalist Sumanth Raman too had tweeted on the unavailability of beds.

"For those who think they can buy their way to a bed, remember, even if you have money, there aren’t beds," tweeted Raman.

818 Medical Colleges in India, Maximum in UP, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu: Health Ministry tells Parliament Written By : Divyani PaulPublished On 15 Feb 2026 11:00 AM  |  Updated On 15 Feb 2026 11:00 AM New Delhi: The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has informed the Lok Sabha that India currently has a total of 818 medical colleges, including AIIMS and Institutes of National Importance (INIS) across India. The details were shared in response to an Unstarred Question on February 6, 2026. Replying to queries raised by Shri Jagannath Sarkar regarding districts without government medical colleges and plans for prioritising high-population districts, Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare Shri Prataprao Jadhav said that the National Medical Commission (NMC) has reported a total of 818 medical colleges nationwide. Also Read: 18 AIIMS Functional, 4 Under Construction: Health Minister tells Parliament As per the list shared in this regard, Uttar Pradesh has the highest number of medical colleges at 88 (51 government and 37 private), followed by Maharashtra with 85 (43 government and 42 private), and Tamil Nadu with 78 colleges (38 government, 40 private). Karnataka has 72 (24 government and 48 private), Telangana has 66 (37 government, 29 private), and Rajasthan has 49 (34 government, 15 private). However, several smaller States and UTs, such as Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Arunachal Pradesh, Chandigarh, Goa, Mizoram, Nagaland and Sikkim have only one medical college each.

818 Medical Colleges in India, Maximum in UP, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu: Health Ministry tells Parliament Written By : Divyani PaulPublished O...