Thursday, October 8, 2026

One Vadapalani metro entry not ready for inauguration

One Vadapalani metro entry not ready for inauguration

 U.Tejonmayam@timesofindia.com 08.10.2026

Chennai: With the inauguration of the first stretch of Metro Phase II — from Poonamallee Bypass to Vadapalani— set for Sunday, one of the entry/exit structures at Vadapalani metro station is still under construction. 



Vadapalani will serve as an interchange for passengers switching to the Phase I network. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the 14.64km stretch on Oct 11. Phase II stations will have two entry/exit structures, compared with four at Phase I stations. At Vadapalani, CMRL has built an entry point near the police station on Arcot Road. A skywalk linking the Phase I and II stations has been built across the road, but the entry point next to it is still under construction. Commuters wanting to exit on the side opposite the police station may have to walk across the skywalk to the Phase I station and exit onto 100 Feet Road. 

Those entering through the point near the police station may have to climb flights of stairs to reach the concourse. “The entry structure near Vadapalani metro skywalk will not be ready before the inauguration. Passengers will have to use the skywalk to Phase I station to exit, as the AFC gates are in the Phase I station,” a CMRL official said. The Poonamallee Bypass–Vadapalani stretch is being commissioned more than seven months after CMRL received conditional approval from the commissioner of metro railway safety (CMRS) in Feb. CMRL secured final authorisation, with relaxations in train speed and frequency, in May, but the line remained closed to passengers pending an inauguration date. Vadapalani is the only elevated Phase II station with three levels: the first for commercial development, the second for ticketing and the third for platforms. 

The station will give those from Porur and Poonamallee access to Anna Nagar, Shenoy Nagar, Thiruvottiyur and Kilpauk. They can reach transport hubs such as Chennai Centraland airport by changing trains at Vadapalani. “Why can’t CMRL complete the station before opening it? They have had enough time since elections. It is not as if passengers have clean, wide pavements to walk on or can easily cross Arcot Road, which is in bad shape,” said Porur resident S Vikram.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NEWS TODAY 08.10.2026