Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Nursing diploma courses to be phased out by 2022

Speaking to Express, a government nurse said, “It might not be practical to execute the system in Tamil Nadu.

Published: 06th February 2019 04:31 AM 



For representational purposes (File | EPS)

By Express News Service

CHENNAI: As a step towards standardisation of the nursing qualifications at the entry level, the Union Health Ministry has decided to phase out the General Nursing and Midwifery, a diploma nursing course by 2022, the ministry said in a copy of the discussions of the meeting held in New Delhi last year.

According to official sources, on July 25, members (Health), NITI had discussions on nursing education reforms with nursing experts and professionals from across the country to suggest recommendations for effecting changes in nursing education to provide quality health care. “There is a need for standardisation in nursing qualification at the entry level. As a step towards achieving this, it has been decided that the existing GNM course would be phased out by 2022,” the copy accessed by Express showed.

The experts also stressed the need to change the existing curriculum of the PG Nursing courses. “The curriculum should expand the scope of clinical activities. BSc nursing curriculum set by the Indian Nursing Council should be expedited to address the crisis of inadequate clinical skills,” the experts decided.

“An exit exam for BSc nursing should be introduced as proposed by the Ministry of Health. Information technology (IT) should be used more extensively for nursing education and to facilitate distance learning courses,” the recommendations said.


Speaking to Express, a government nurse said, “It might not be practical to execute the system in Tamil Nadu. There are around 1,800 diploma seats in 22 government medical colleges which have the School of Nursing. Then, all these colleges should be converted into Colleges of Nursing. But, only two or three colleges are offering PG nursing courses,” the nurse added.

However, for further discussions on the recommendations of the NITI Aayog, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare Department is holding a meeting to discuss the recommendations of NITI Aayog on February 7 under the chairmanship of deputy secretary (Nursing), at New Delhi in which all State Health department officials will be participating.

Uncommon sight, common problem as pelicans fly with plastic in mouth

The water bodies in and around Chennai attract birds of a wide variety. Nature lovers flock to some these places on weekends.

Published: 06th February 2019 04:38 AM 



A spot-billed pelican flies with a discarded plastic bag stuck inside its mouth 
| atreyo mukhopadhyay


Express News Service

CHENNAI: The water bodies in and around Chennai attract birds of a wide variety. Nature lovers flock to some these places on weekends. They are used to the sight of discarded plastic and liquor bottles piling up. Some have in fact noticed a rise in the volume of these over the last few years and although shocked, they are not totally surprised by the sight of a pelican flying with a piece of plastic stuck in its mouth, near the Sholinganallur lake.

“Not that I have not seen anything like this, but it’s not completely unexpected,” says Venkatesh Viswanath, a registered patent agent based in the city, who has been an avid bird-watcher for several years and a regular to these spots. “That’s because these places are filled with these things. Needless to say, this is harmful for the birds as well as humans. Unless the plastic ban is implemented properly, there is no respite. Even if it comes into effect, we have to see what is done with the plastic which is already out there in these places.”

Not just bird-watchers or nature lovers, those involved with animal rescue operations are also used to the problems posed by discarded plastic bags. Shravan Krishnan, who runs the Besant Memorial Animal Dispensary and also volunteers for the Forest Department, encountered a similar situation about six months ago.


“It was another pelican with a plastic ring stuck in its bill in such a way that it couldn’t open its mouth. This was near the Pallikaranai marshland (not far away from Sholinganallur) and the bird had to be captured before we could remove the object. Such problems are possibly on the rise,” says Shravan.

‘Not at risk’
Shravan feels the distressed pelican photographed near Sholinganallur is not in grave danger. “It’s difficult to capture these birds. So I’m not sure if the object can be removed by us. But going by the photograph, it seems the bag will come off on its own.”
Vellore Institute of Technology ’s plea to retrieve land binned
The judge also directed the authorities concerned to protect the government poromboke land in question, if necessary.

Published: 06th February 2019 05:17 AM |



Madras High Court (File | EPS)
By Express News Service

CHENNAI: The Madras High Court has rejected a writ plea from the Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT) to quash a 2005 GO and consequently direct the Revenue secretary to assign a land measuring 41.92 acres in Katpadi village in its favour.


“The petitioner has not established even a semblance of legal right so as to consider the relief as such sought for in the present writ petition and an order of rejection passed by the first respondent (revenue secretary) is in accordance with law and no infirmity as such,” Justice S M Subramaniam said and dismissed the petition on January 31 last.

The judge also directed the authorities concerned to protect the government poromboke land in question, if necessary, by fencing the same and accordingly, implement the public welfare scheme as approved, by constructing multipurpose sports stadium, without any undue delay.

The secretary shall review all such assignments/allotments of government poromboke lands, waterbodies and water resources already made in favour of private institutions/individuals across the State, including the petitioner in respect of the assignment of the land to an extent of 98.80 acres and identify all such assignments which are all violative of the Revenue Board Standing Orders, violations of conditions and policies etc.
Banks accountable for unauthorised withdrawals: Kerala High Court
SMS alerts cannot be the basis for determining the liability of the customer and there would be account holders who may not be in the habit of checking SMS alerts at regular intervals.

Published: 06th February 2019 01:46 AM 



Kerala High Court (File photo)
By Express News Service

KOCHI: The Kerala High Court held that bank cannot be exonerated from the liability for the loss caused to its customer on account of the unauthorised withdrawals made from the person’s account merely on the ground he/she has not responded promptly to the bank’s SMS alerts.

“Needless to say a bank owes a duty to its customers to take necessary steps to prevent unauthorised withdrawals from their accounts. If a customer suffers a loss on account of the transactions not authorised by him, the bank is liable to the customer for the loss,” observed the court. Justice P B Suresh Kumar issued the order while dismissing the appeal filed by the State Bank of India, Pala branch chief manager, challenging the order of Sub- Court, Pala.

What the court said

It is the obligation of the banks to create a safe electronic banking environment

SMS alerts cannot be the basis for determining the liability of the customer

 Some account holders may not be in the habit of checking SMS

P V George, who is working in Brazil, is an account holder of the SBI, Pala. As he is working in an offshore rig in Brazil, he used to be in India for 28 days after every 28 working days. When he was in India, he noticed a sum of Rs 240,910 was withdrawn from his account from different places in Brazil.

He filed a complaint to the bank.


The bank argued withdrawals were not possible from the account without the knowledge of the person. However, the Sub-Court held the bank was liable for the loss. Hence, the bank approached the High court. The bank submitted before the HC when amounts were withdrawn by international fraudsters from ATMs in a foreign country, it cannot be made liable for the loss caused to account holders.

The bank said SMS alerts were given to him with regard to the withdrawal and he has not requested for blocking the account immediately. Besides, he has not responded to the SMS alerts. It was the obligation of the banks providing electronic banking services, to create a safe electronic banking environment to combat all forms of malicious conducts resulting in a loss to their customers.

SMS alerts cannot be the basis for determining the liability of the customer and there would be account holders who may not be in the habit of checking SMS alerts at regular intervals. If a customer suffers loss in connection with the transactions made without his junction by fraudsters, it has to be presumed that it was on account of the failure on the part of the bank to put in place a system which prevents such withdrawals, and the banks are, therefore, liable for the loss caused to their customer, held the court.
Air India Express suspends Sharjah flights

TIRUCHI, FEBRUARY 06, 2019 00:00 IST

To and fro Tiruchi for two days a week

Overseas passenger traffic is likely to take a hit at the international airport here as Air India Express has announced suspension of its service on the Tiruchi-Sharjah-Tiruchi sector for two days in a week with effect from February 17 to March 31.

The airline has formally communicated its decision to the Tiruchi airport authorities with travel industry circles also in the know-how of the latest development.

The move comes at a time when there has been persistent demand from travellers for introduction of direct flight services to key Middle-East destinations in view of the large workforce hailing from this part of the region employed in the Gulf region.

Air India Express launched daily services to Sharjah from Tiruchi in September 2016 taking into account the potential for new services amid travellers’ demands.

Airline sources say the Sharjah- Tiruchi flights will not be operated on Mondays and Saturdays from February 16 to March 30. The Tiruchi - Sharjah flights will not be operated on Tuesdays and Sundays from February 17 to March 31.

The sources attribute the suspension to “operational reason”, exuding hope that it will resume during the summer schedule starting April. The daily single service in the sector has a fairly good patronage with a Boeing-737 being operated by the airline on the route, they say.

Suspension of service for two days from here comes at a time when there has been a decline in international passenger movement at Tiruchi airport during April-December 2018 as compared to the corresponding period of the previous year.

Airports Authority of India statistics reveal that the airport handled 10,40,072 international passengers during April-December 2017, while it was 9,16,462 during April -December 2019 with the difference being over 1.23 lakh travellers.

The Tiruchi airport presently has direct connectivity to Colombo, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Dubai and Sharjah operated by different international airlines.

A senior representative of the tourism industry here feels that though a temporary phenomenon, the suspension of service to Sharjah for two days in a week up to March 31 will definitely impact international passenger traffic at the airport at a time when the current fiscal comes to a close next month.

The fear among travellers is that the airline should not make it a permanent one.

“The daily service was serving passengers going from here and the suspension of flights for two days in a week will now force them to travel to Chennai or other nearby airport to travel to Sharjah,” said M.A. Aleem, Member, Airports Advisory Committee, Tiruchi.

The airline can offset the stoppage by operating a new service either to Kuwait or Doha or Muscat from Tiruchi as there is heavy demand from passengers from this part of the region, said the tourism industry representative.

Given the large number of workforce from this part of the region working in the Middle-East, there is definite need for new connections to places including Kuwait just when Tiruchi airport is on an expansion mode, says Dr. Aleem.

Airline sources here say their higher ups have been briefed about the high demand for a new service to Kuwait and Abu Dhabi from the city.
Not in a position to pay UGC rate for guest faculty: State varsities

TIRUCHI, FEBRUARY 06, 2019 00:00 IST

Citing depleted finances, State universities say they are not in a position to implement revised guidelines for enhancement of the rates of honorarium of guest faculty, following the implementation of the seventh pay commission.

The UGC had, last month, sent a communication to registrars of all universities recommending that the honorarium for guest faculty appointed against sanctioned post be enhanced to Rs. 1,500 per lecture subject to a maximum of Rs. 50,000 per month.

The UGC had specified that the selection procedure for appointing guest faculty must be the same as those of regularly appointed Assistant Professors, but made it clear that the guest faculty will not be given the benefit of allowances, pension gratuity and leave as admissible to the regular teachers.

However, in the latest advertisement released to invite applications for appointment of a guest lecturer in Biochemistry, Bharathidasan University had specified that the candidate must have the qualifications of SLET/NET or Ph.D., but had mentioned the scale of pay as Rs. 12,000 per month.

Fund crunch

According to university sources, constraint of funds was a major hindering factor in implementing the UGC's latest recommendation on revised honorarium for guest faculty.

State universities are not funded by UGC, and will be in a position to pay guest faculties as per its recommendation only when there is additional funding from the State Government, sources said.

The stand of the State universities is that the current funding from UGC that is confined to specific projects is not adequate for paying guest lecturers the revised amount.

It was to cut down on excess expenditure that Bharathidasan University chose not to renew the services of principals of its 10 constituent colleges, who drew monthly salaries of Rs. 40,000 each.

Since the posts of principals were filled with regular faculties, the university could cut down monthly expenditure to the tune of Rs. 4 lakh per month.

While the aspiration of guest faculties holding the qualification to receive payment as per the latest UGC recommendation is genuine, the implementation hinges on the State Government's readiness to provide extra funding, the sources said.
LIC to send SMS instead of renewal notice

Mayur.Shetty@timesgroup.com

Mumbai:06.02.2019

State-run LIC has decided to do away with physical renewal notices and send text messages instead. According to corporation sources, the shift will happen for all policies where LIC has updated customers’ mobile numbers. The corporation has sent out text alerts to policyholders saying that from March 2019, it will send premium due intimations and reminders only through SMS. LIC officials said that text messages are more effective as policyholders are alerted instantly and it is possible to send multiple reminders. The move will result in cost savings for the corporation as it can save on postage and stationery. LIC has over 28 crore policies in force, of which over 2 crore policies were sold in 2017-18. Unlike banks, LIC has a very small percentage of its customers’ mobile numbers. Sources said that of the total customer base, the percentage of policyholders whose phone details are available would be in single digits.

NEWS TODAY 24.05.2026