Thursday, February 6, 2020

Big temple, big moment and big crowd made Thanjavur’s day

Wednesday’s consecration had lakhs of devotees and tourists checking into the town from across the nation and other countries for a glimpse of the spectacle.

Published: 06th February 2020 05:41 AM 



Scores of people gathered at Brihadeeswarar temple to witness the consecration; (inset) holy water being poured over Kalasam | mk ashok kumar

Express News Service

THANJAVUR: Regarded as the Chola era’s architectural marvel, the Brihadeeswarar temple in Thanjavur stands testimony to the unquantifiable amount of labour and artistry put forth by the subjects of the kingdom back in 1010 AD. Fondly called the “Big Temple” for its vast horizontal spread and vertical reach, it also holds the international tag of a UNESCO World Heritage Site. So when the consecration of this 11th century Chola edifice took place after 23 years, it was a moment of awe that dazzled in its brilliance and strikingly graceful in all its regal splendour.

The presiding deities are Peruvudayar and Periyanayagi at the temple. Wednesday’s consecration had lakhs of devotees and tourists checking into the town from across the nation and other countries for a glimpse of the spectacle. Devotees trickled into the temple complex from 5.30 am to get a vantage spot to view the proceedings. Around 7.25 am, priests brought the pots containing water collected from the Cauvery, Ganges and Yamuna out of the yagasalai where prayers were conducted for five days. The procession reached the Raja Rajan Vayil Gopuram around 7.40 am.

Sivachariars took the pots through makeshift steps to the Vimanam (tower over sanctum) of the shrines of Peruvudayar, Periyanayagi, Chandeswarar, Varahi, Vinayakar, Murugan and atop the Raja Rajan Vayil and Keralanthakan Vayil towers. Musicians played Siva Vadhyam all along. Around 9.21 am, officials atop the tower waved green flags to the crowds gathered, signalling the beginning of the consecration.

Big Temple consecration turns into cultural extravaganza

Sprinklers were used to spray holy water from atop the 216 feet high vimanam

“It was quite some experience witnessing an event of this magnitude and such enthusiastic crowd. I was excited watching the rituals, music and emotions displayed. I did not know the consecration was to take place when we arrived, we are very glad we got an opportunity to participate in it,” said Steve who came with his kin from France on a sight seeing trip.

Ramesh K, who was inside the temple complex, lauded the administration for arrangements. “So many precautionary methods have been taken keeping in mind the 1997 accident. We are lucky to have watched it from close quarters.” Similarly, S Gopal expressed joy of watching the consecration that was performed after 23 years.

Actor Parthiban was also present at the event. He said his happiness doubled with Tamil finding a prominent place in the rituals. Elaborate arrangements had been made to spray holy water used for consecration through sprinklers which left devotees pleasantly surprised. These were used as water from the pots could not be sprinkled by hand from atop the 216 feet high vimanam. Free shuttle services ensured people reached bus stands without much hassle.
Nirbhaya case convicts will be hanged soon, says Law Minister
He expresses anguish over attacks on women across India


06/02/2020, SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT,NEW DELHI

Ravi Shankar PrasadRanjeet Kumar

Union Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad has assured the Lok Sabha that convicts in the Nirbhaya gang rape case will be hanged soon.

He said that the culprits were trying to delay punishment by using legal provisions despite their mercy petitions having been turned down by the President as well as the Supreme Court.

Mr. Prasad was responding to several members, especially women MPs, across party lines who have raised the issue of attack on women in various parts of the country.

Expressing deep anguish over such incidents, he said, “I have deep concern in this regard.”

“As far as hanging of convicts in the Nirbhaya case is concerned, the Supreme Court has already sentenced them to death. We are very strict... justice will be delivered. The convicts will be hanged soon,” the Minister said.

On January 7, the trial courts had issued black warrants for the execution of all the four convicts in Tihar jail on January 22, but the same was deferred as one of the convicts filed a mercy petition.

The subsequent date — February 1 — was also put off as all the legal remedies were to be exhausted by the convicts.

Members also highlighted the recent incident of wherein a 25-year-old college teacher was set ablaze by a stalker in Wardha, Maharashtra.
Devotees witness Kanthuri festival

Govt. providing free sandalwood for festival since 2013

06/02/2020, SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT ,NAGAPATTINAM


Devotees witnessing ‘Sandhanakoodu’ procession in Nagore on Wednesday.

Anointment of sandal paste on tombs, the highlight of the 463rd annual Kanthuri festival at Nagore Dargah, took place early on Wednesday.

Earlier, a large number of devotees witnessed the ‘Sandhanakoodu’ procession taken through main roads in the town. The dargah was provided with sandalwood by the government for conversion into paste. The State government has been providing free sandalwood for the festival since 2013. After smearing on tombs of saints, the sandal paste was distributed to devotees and pilgrims in the early hours. The holy flag was mounted on January 26, and the Peer of the Dargah who began the three day fast on February 3 will proceed to the seashore on Thursday as part of the ceremony.

The dismounting of the holy flag will be carried out at about 8.30 p.m. on Saturday night.
Demolition of portion of GRH to begin in June

A new JICA-funded structure will replace it: senior official


06/02/2020, SANJANA GANESH

New building

Estimated cost: ₹330 cr.

Number of storeys: 6

Number of depts: 5

Number of modular operation theatres: 24

Deadline: 2022

Deputy Director of Medical Education T. Sabeetha on Wednesday said the demolition of a portion of Government Rajaji Hospital (GRH) would begin in June. A new structure funded by the Japanese International Cooperation Agency (JICA) would come up in its place.

Speaking to The Hindu, Ms. Sabeetha said the State government had received approval for construction of a six-storied structure, along with the ground floor, upon consultation with experts from JICA. While the ground floor would host the emergency room for cardiology, a section for radiodiagnosis and the central sterile supply department, the outpatient ward would be located on the first floor.

All wards would be on the second and third floors. The rest of the floors would have operation and post-operation theatres and intensive care units.

“Work is finally picking up pace with respect to the project. We are beginning the process of listing the equipment necessary for each department such as workstations for anaesthetists, patient monitors, defibrillators, ventilators, ECHO machines and ECG machines,” she said.

Since the machines would include high-end equipment, there was a need to prepare extensive lists and seek approval from JICA representatives before procurement.

The first-level consultation meeting with experts from GRH, representatives from JICA and the Directorate of Medical Education was held here on Monday. The building was expected to become functional by 2022.

A total of ₹330 crore had been estimated for the project that envisaged 24 modular operation theatres with pore-free walls to disallow dust from settling in, making the environment more sterile.

The building would house five departments: General Surgery, ENT, Plastic Surgery, Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery.

Dr. Sabeetha added that although they had received the State government’s approval for land rights at the site in Thoppur where the All India Institutes of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) project was slated to come up, there was little clarity about when construction of the medical college and hospital would begin.

JICA representatives were expected to revisit the site and reorganise the existing detailed project report prior to any further move.

The AIIMS project was proposed in December 2018 at a cost of ₹1,264 crore.
HC takes serious view of pregnant woman’s death due to ‘medical negligence’

Husband’s petition alleges there was no one to attend to her at UPHC

06/02/2020, STAFF REPORTER

Taking a serious view of the death of a 22-year-old pregnant woman due to medical negligence, the Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court has sought an explanation of the incident that took place in September last.

The Bench was hearing a petition filed by S. Manimuthu, resident of K. Pudur in Madurai and husband of the deceased M. Sakthikali, on Tuesday.

Justice Pushpa Sathyanarayana directed the Dean of Government Rajaji Hospital, the GRH Multipurpose Health Supervisor and the Inspector of Police, K. Pudur, to file separate affidavits as to why Mr. Manimuthu was not informed about the cause of his wife’s death.

In his petition, Mr. Manimuthu said his wife was admitted to K. Pudur Urban Primary Health Centre (UPHC) for her first delivery. After a check up, the duty doctor assured him of normal delivery and left the clinic. Within minutes, his wife experienced labour pain. However, there was no one to attend to her for hours except a nurse. There was a delay in referring her to GRH.

A commotion ensued at the UPHC with the staff unable to deal with the situation and his wife, lying in a pool of blood, breathed her last at the primary health centre. It was only then that the staff made arrangements to take the deceased to GRH. The authorities concerned were yet to issue a post-mortem report and the death certificate, he said.

Blaming the authorities concerned for medical negligence, the petitioner sought a compensation of ₹10 lakh.

It was only after the court pulled up the authorities for not issuing the death certificate during the forenoon session, it was issued by afternoon and the court was informed of the same.

The case was adjourned till February 11.

Secretariat staff seeks advance bail in TNPSC recruitment case

Three batchmates of the applicant have been arrested

06/02/2020, LEGAL CORRESPONDENT,CHENNAI

A Secretariat staff has rushed to the Madras High Court seeking anticipatory bail in a case being investigated by the Crime Branch-Criminal Investigation Department (CB-CID) regarding alleged irregularities by the candidates in clearing examinations conducted by Tamil Nadu Public Services Commission (TNPSC) for Group II-A and Group IV services.

The petitioner, D. Kavitha, 39, now serving as an assistant in the Department of Finance at the Secretariat, feared that the police might arrest her since they had apprehended her batchmates M. Vignesh, Sudha and Sudha Devi in connection with the case. She claimed to be on maternity leave at present and was delivered of a baby boy on January 23.

According to the petitioner, she had got appointed in government service after clearing the TNPSC Group II services examinations held for 2017-18. She wrote the examination at St. Joseph’s Higher Secondary School at Verkodu in Rameswaram on August 6, 2017 and secured 48th rank overall and sixth position in communal ranking. Her batchmate M. Vignesh had written the examination at the same centre and secured 46th rank. However, he was recently arrested by the CB-CID sleuths for having reportedly paid money to clear the examinations. Since two other women too had been arrested, the petitioner apprehended that she might get arrested despite having to take care of a just born baby.

Since she was on maternity leave, there was no chance of her tampering with the records, the petitioner said and undertook to furnish solvent sureties and abide by any condition imposed by the court in the event of being granted advance bail.
Delayed Vandalur flyover to be ready by mid-March
Foot overbridge to come up for pedestrians

06/02/2020, SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT,CHENNAI

Finishing touches: Work on Vandalur flyover in progress.B. Velankanni Raj

The 711-m-long flyover in Vandalur, on GST Road, will be completed by mid-March. Construction of the bridge portion of the ₹55-crore work is over and the Highways Department is currently constructing approach ramps.

“We have already started filling up the ramps with flyash and have been ramming it down. Black topping, painting and road sign installation will simultaneously be taken up,” said an official. The Department had earlier completed work on construction of stormwater drains and formation of service lanes on either side.

On completion, the flyover, at the ‘T’ junction of the Vandalur-Kelambakkam Road and the GST Road, will allow traffic through, with no need for waiting for the signal. Work on the six-lane flyover began in September 2016, and took more time than what was planned initially due to delay in land acquisition, labour issues, non-availability of sand, round-the-clock plying of vehicles on the National Highway and an increase in the prices of cement. The contractor got the land for the project about eight months later than planned.

Bridge planned

Keeping in mind the thousands of visitors to the Arignar Anna Zoological Park in Vandalur every day, the Department has planned to construct a foot overbridge to facilitate easy crossing of the GST Road for pedestrians. It will come up in between the flyover and the zoo gate. Several times, pedestrians just run across the road that has very heavy traffic, causing accidents. Kannagi Nagar resident Priya, who visited the zoo, welcomed the idea of a pedestrian facility. She suggested that small shops selling refreshments could be allowed on the foot overbridge, so that families could have something on their way out.

NEWS TODAY 23.05.2026