Monday, June 22, 2015

Rajasthan Technical University imposes penalty of Rs 10,000, colleges refuse to pay


JAIPUR: Rajasthan Technical University has imposed a penalty of Rs 10,000 on all engineering colleges affiliated to it. A letter dated July 17 says that all B.Tech colleges, which come under the jurisdiction of RTU, are required to pay Rs 10,000 for not submitting the enrollment list of students for the session 2014-15.

The letter didn't specify the number or name of errant colleges nor did it specify the reason in detail. Many colleges said they have submitted the list of enrolled students long ago. Further, the letter read that in case these colleges fail to submit the one-time penalty, the RTU will not release the admission cards of their students.

The letter has left many of the 154 engineering colleges red-faced. The matter has been taken up with the association of engineering colleges in Rajasthan which has decided not to the pay the penalty until they clearly name the colleges which are defaulters.

Rahul Sanghi, member of the association of engineering colleges in Rajasthan, says, "We have decided not to pay this penalty which is forcibly imposed on us without any reason." He added that it is very ironical that at a time colleges are struggling with admissions for the session 2015-16, RTU comes up such kind of order. TOI tried calling the RTU's spokesperson but he remained unavailable.

Hunt begins for new TNAU vice-chancellor

COIMBATORE: Tamil Nadu Agricultural University vice-chancellor K Ramasamy's tenure will come to an end this August, and the search for the new VC has begun.

The academic council nominated its representative for the search committee last week, while the board of management is still under talks to decide on its nomination. The third person in the committee will be governor K Rosaiah. Once the search committee is formed, they will begin the search for list of eligible candidates. The search is expected to be constituted by the end of this month.

Ramasamy is the 10th vice-chancellor of TNAU and he assumed office on August 27, 2012. He is also a member of the state planning commission.

With the retirement age of the university vice-chancellor being 70 years, it is said that Ramasamy is unlikely to apply for a second term. Born on May 1, 1948, Ramasamy is 67, and will fall short by around four months to complete his second term.

Sources in TNAU said that there are two forerunners for the post- a vice-chancellor of a state university in western Tamil Nadu and the second a former director of the extension education of TNAU.

While attempts are being made to ensure that the new vice-chancellor is identified before Ramasamy's retirement, but in case of a delay, Ramasamy will handover charge to the university's registrar.

Airline fined 35,000 for downgrading ticket class

CHENNAI: The district consumer disputes redressal forum, South Chennai has slapped Singapore Airlines with a fine of Rs 35,000 for changing a city resident's air ticket from business to economy class.

G R K Reddy of Kotivakkam said he had purchased an air ticket from the airlines for his travel from Singapore to Chennai on April 19, 2011. When he boarded the flight, the airlines downgraded his ticket from business to economy class and issued him a voucher for 600 Singapore Dollars (SGD). Reddy then issued a legal notice to the airlines stating the change had been made without prior information. Also, the voucher did not provide "a fair compensation." After he received "a vague and implausible reply," Reddy moved the forum seeking compensation for deficiency in services.

In its counter, Singapore Airlines said Reddy's ticket had been downgraded as the business class tickets had been overbooked and he was the last person to reserve such a ticket. Also, according to the terms mentioned while booking tickets, it was clearly mentioned that passengers might not be able to travel in their booked tickets in case of overbooking. The airlines had offered Reddy a compensation package comprising a cash voucher of 600 SGD and in-flight voucher of 150 SGD. He had, however, refused to accept it.

A bench of president B Ramalingam and member K Amala said downgrading a ticket without prior information amounted to deficiency in service. The airlines had also failed to provide a suitable compensation to Reddy. "Considering the situation where Reddy was compelled to travel in economy class it is acceptable that he underwent mental agony and hardship," the bench said.

It then directed the airlines to pay Rs 30,000 as compensation for causing mental agony and hardship along with Rs 5,000 as case costs. The amount had to paid within 6 weeks, failing which, the compensation amount would carry an interest rate of 9%, the bench added.

Kovai Medical Centre and Hospital to set up 300-bed facility in Chennai

COIMBATORE: Kovai Medical Centre and Hospital will set up a 300-bed facility in Chennai, said its chairman Dr Nalla G Palaniswami on Sunday.

The Rs 300-crore hospital will come on a three-acre land at Sholinganallur in Chennai, and it would be ready by end of 2016, Palaniswami said while speaking on the occasion of the silver jubilee celebrations of KMCH.

"We also plan to set up smaller hospitals at Sulur, Salem, Mettupalayam, Karur and Palakkad (in Kerala)," he said. "Each of them will have 100 to 120 beds."

"The hospital which began to function here with just 200 beds on June 24, 1990, has now grown to a 1,000 bed super speciality facility," he said.

Kerala Governor and former Supreme Court chief justice P Sathasivam was the chief guest at the event. Justice Sathasivam asked gynaecologists, genetic specialists and scan specialists to stick to the Indian law of not using advanced facilities for determination of sex of the unborn fetus. "I would like to again remind doctors about the provisions of the Prenatal Diagnostic Techniques Act 1994 which prohibits the determination of sex of the unborn fetus or disclosing it to the parents," he said.

He also advised doctors not to misuse their right of being the only competent authority to issue the disability certificate to disabled people.

"I would also like to remind you about the Persons with Disabilities Act, 1995, which allows only doctors to issue a disability certificate. So they should be careful about the information they disclose on the certificate," he added.

UGC likely to allow PhD enrolment under distance education


NEW DELHI: The University Grants Commission (UGC) is actively considering relaxing its norms which would enable distance education institutions to offer MPhil and PhD programmes, benefiting nearly 10,000 students.

The matter will be put before the next meeting of the commission.

"The commission is taking a considerate view of the matter and it will be placed in the next committee meeting," UGC chairman Ved Prakash said.

The development comes against the backdrop of a section of teachers from Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) reminding UGC about its assurance given four years back to relax norms in context of research programmes conducted through distance mode.

The UGC had clamped the bar by notifying a rule - the Minimum Standards and Procedure for Awards of MPhil/PhD Degree Regulation - in 2009 saying research courses in the distant mode were of poor quality.

The regulations had put a question mark on the future of nearly 10,000 students pursuing such courses across the country.

Following widespread protests by various open learning universities including IGNOU on the ground that laws, passed by Parliament or legislatures, allowed them to offer such courses, UGC had lifted the ban in 2011.

It said, "an open university may be permitted to conduct MPhil/PhD programmes through distant education mode subject to condition that it does so strictly as per the provisions of the UGC Regulations".

However, with no official notification coming from UGC following that the matter has dragged on for over four years.

"The suppression of this notification is ruining the career of a large number of students for which you should feel accountable. This is an act of utter insensitivity on the part of UGC," IGNOU teachers association said in a letter to UGC.

The teachers' body also said that the delay by UGC has also hampered the process of suitably amending the IGNOU Act.

Sunday, June 21, 2015

தாத்தா சுயமாக சேர்த்த சொத்தில் பேரன், பேத்தி உரிமை கோர முடியாது: உயர் நீதிமன்றம் உத்தரவு

தாத்தா சுயமாக சேர்த்த சொத்தில் பேரன், பேத்தி உரிமை கோர முடியாது என உயர் நீதிமன்றம் உத்தரவிட்டுள்ளது.

சென்னை நுங்கம்பாக்கத்தில் வசித்த கனகசபை நாயக்கர் என்பவருக்கு சொந்தமான நிலங்களை, அவர் இறந்த பிறகு மனைவியும், 5 மகன்களும் பிரித்துக் கொண்டனர். 5 மகன்களில் ஒருவரும், அவரது மகனும் சேர்ந்து 1995-ல் தனியார் நிதி நிறுவனத்தில் தங்களது நிலத்தை அடமானம் வைத்து ரூ.3.45 லட்சம் கடன் பெற்றனர். அந்த கடன் வட்டியுடன் சேர்ந்து ரூ.14 லட்சமாக உயர்ந்தது. இதனால் அடமான நிலத்தை ஏலம் விட நிதி நிறுவனம் முடிவு செய்தது.

ஏலத்தை எதிர்த்து வழக்கு

இதை எதிர்த்து நிலத்தை அடமான வைத்தவரின் மகள்கள் கலைச்செல்வி, கலைவாணி ஆகியோர் சென்னை சிட்டி சிவில் நீதிமன்றத்தில், அடமான சொத்தில் தங்களுக்கு பங்கு தர வேண்டும் எனக் கேட்டு வழக்கு தொடர்ந்தனர். அந்த வழக்கில் இவர்களுக்கு சாதகமாக தீர்ப்பு வந்தது. அதை எதிர்த்து நிதி நிறுவனம், சென்னை உயர் நீதிமன்றத்தில் வழக்கு தொடர்ந்தது.

இந்த வழக்கை விசாரித்து நீதிபதி பி.ஆர்.சிவக்குமார் நேற்று பிறப்பித்த உத்தரவு:

வழக்கில் சம்பந்தப்பட்ட சொத்து மூதாதையர் சொத்து அல்ல. இரு பெண்களின் தாத்தா சுய சம்பாத்தியத்தில் சேர்த்த சொத்து. அவர்களின் தந்தைக்கு மூதாதையர் சொத்து என்ற வகையில் சம்பந்தப்பட்ட சொத்து வரவில்லை. சட்டப்பூர்வ வாரிசுகளில் ஒருவர் என்ற முறையில் அந்த சொத்து வழங் கப்பட்டுள்ளது.

இப்பெண்களின் தந்தை அந்த சொத்தை அடமானம் வைக்கும்போது, அவரது மகனை சேர்க்க வேண்டியதில்லை. நிதி நிறுவனத்தை எச்சரிக்கும் விதமாக மகனை சேர்த்துள்ளார். அந்த சொத்தில் மகள்கள் உரிமை கோர முடியாது. இந்த வழக்கில் சொத்தில் உரிமை கேட்பவர்கள் எதிர் மனுதாரர்களாக இருந் தாலும் வழக்கை அவர்கள் நடத்தவில்லை. நிதி நிறுவனம் தான் நடத்தியுள்ளது.

சந்தேகம் வருகிறது

வேண்டும் என்றே சொத்தை அபகரிக்கும் நோக்கத்தில் செயல்படுவதாக சந்தேகம் வருகிறது. எனவே, கீழ் நீதிமன்ற உத்தரவு ரத்து செய்யப்படுகிறது என நீதிபதி உத்தரவில் கூறியுள்ளார்.

நடைபயணமாக வரும் தமிழக பக்தர்களுக்கு தங்கும் விடுதி: திருப்பதி தேவஸ்தான அதிகாரி தகவல்


திருமலைக்கு நடைபயணமாக வரும் தமிழக பக்தர்களின் வசதிக்காக தமிழக-ஆந்திர எல்லையில் அனைத்து வசதிகளுடன் கூடிய தங்கும் விடுதி கட்டப்படும் என திருப்பதி தேவஸ்தானம் தெரிவித்துள்ளது. திருமலை-திருப்பதி தேவஸ் தான தலைமை நிர்வாக அதிகாரி சாம்பசிவ ராவ் ‘தி இந்து’ வுக்கு நேற்று அளித்த சிறப்புப் பேட்டியில் கூறியதாவது:

திருப்பதி ஏழுமலையான் கோயிலுக்கு வரும் பக்தர்களின் எண்ணிக்கை நாளுக்கு நாள் அதிகரித்து வருகிறது. இதனால் சாதாரண பக்தர்கள் தரிசனம் செய்ய மிகவும் சிரமப்படுகின்றனர். இதற்கு தீர்வு காண தேவஸ்தானம் நடவடிக்கை எடுக்குமா?

நாடு முழுவதிலும் இருந்து மட்டுமல்லாமல் உலகின் பல்வேறு நாடுகளிலிருந்தும் ஏழுமலையானை தரிசிக்க ஏராளமான பக்தர்கள் இங்கு வருகின்றனர். தினமும் சராசரியாக 65 ஆயிரம் பேர் தரிசனம் செய்கின்றனர். தரிசனத்துக்காக வரிசையில் நிற்கும்போது தள்ளு முள்ளு ஏற்படுவதை தவிர்ப்பதற்காக 3 வரிசை திட்டம் சமீபத்தில் அமல்படுத்தப்பட்டது. இதற்கு பலன் கிடைத்துள்ளது.

மேலும் விஐபி-களுக்கு இரண்டு வேளையும் தரிசனம் செய்ய அனுமதிக்கப்பட்ட நிலையில் இப்போது காலை வேளையில் மட்டுமே அனுமதிக்கப்படுகிறது. இதனால் சாதாரண பக்தர்களின் தரிசன நேரம் அதிகரித்துள்ளது. சமீபத்தில் ஒரே நாளில் ஒரு லட்சத்துக்கும் மேற்பட்ட சாமானிய பக்தர்கள் சுவாமியை தரிசித்தனர் என்பதே இதற்கு சான்று.

திருமலையில் தங்கும் அறை கிடைக்காமல் பக்தர்கள் மிகவும் அல்லல்படுகின்றனர். இதற்கு மாற்று திட்டம் ஏதாவது நடைமுறைபடுத்தப்படுமா?

திருமலையில் தேவஸ் தானத்துக்கு சொந்தமாகஉள்ள தங்கும் விடுதிகளில் 7,000 அறைகள் உள்ளன. இதற்கு நாள் வாடகை ரூ.100 முதல் ரூ.8,500 வரை நிர்ணயிக்கப்பட்டுள்ளது. இதில் விஐபி-களுக்கென 550 அறைகள் மட்டுமே உள்ளன. திங்கள் முதல் வியாழக்கிழமை வரை அறைகள் கிடைப்பதில் சிரமம் இருக்காது. ஆனால் வெள்ளி, சனி, ஞாயிற்றுக்கிழமைகளில் அறைகள் கிடைப்பதில் சிரமம் இருப்பது உண்மை. படிப்படியாக திருமலையில் கூடுதல் அறைகள் கட்டப்படும். மேலும் பக்தர்கள் திருப்பதியில் உள்ள தேவஸ்தான தங்கும் விடுதிகளையும் பயன்படுத்திக் கொள்ள வேண்டும்.

லட்டு பிரசாதத்தின் விலையை அதிகரிக்கப் போவதாக தகவல் வெளியாகி உள்ளதே?

ஏழுமலையானின் லட்டு பிரசாதம் தடையின்றி பக்தர் களுக்கு வழங்கப்படுகிறது. இதனால் லட்டு பிரசாதத்துக்கான தேவையும் அதிகரித்துள்ளது. லட்டு விலையை உயர்த்தும் திட்டம் உள்ளது. இதுகுறித்து அறங்காவலர் குழு கூட்டத்தில் ஆலோசித்து முடிவு எடுக்கப்படும்.

தமிழகத்தில் நடைபெற்று வந்த சுவாமி திருக்கல்யாண நிகழ்ச்சிகள் இப்போது நிறுத்தப்பட்டிருப்பது ஏன்?

தமிழகத்தில் நடைபெற்ற சுவாமி திருக்கல்யாண நிகழ்ச்சிக்கு பெரும் வரவேற்பு உள்ளது. எனவே அங்கு திருக்கல்யாணத்தை நிரந்தரமாக நிறுத்தவில்லை. விரைவில் மீண்டும் திருக்கல்யாண நிகழ்ச்சிகள் பிரம்மாண்டமாக நடத்தப்படும்.

தமிழகத்திலிருந்து நேர்த்திக் கடன் செலுத்த ஆயிரக்கணக்கான பக்தர்கள் நடைபயணமாக வருகின்றனர். இவர்களுக்கு வழியில் ஓய்வெடுப்பதற்காக விடுதி கட்டப்படுமா?

ஏழுமலையானுக்கு நேர்த்திக் கடன் செலுத்துவதற்காக தங்களது சொந்த ஊர்களிலிருந்து நடைபயணமாக வரும் பக்தர்களில் பெரும்பாலானவர்கள் தமிழகத்திலிருந்துதான் வருகின்றனர். விரதமிருந்து, மஞ்சள் ஆடை உடுத்தி, பல கிலோ மீட்டர் தொலைவுக்கு நடந்தே வந்து ஏழுமலையானை பக்தியுடன் தரிசிக்கின்றனர்.

இவர்களின் வசதிக்காக முதல் கட்டமாக சென்னை-திருப்பதி நெடுஞ்சாலையில் ஆந்திர எல்லையில் நகரி அருகே விடுதி கட்டப்படும். இதற்கான இடம் தேர்வு செய்யப்பட்டு டெண்டர் விடப்பட்டுள்ளது. விரைவில் கட்டுமானப் பணிகள் தொடங்கப் படும். இந்த விடுதிகளில் நடைபயணமாக வரும் பக்தர்கள் தங்கி ஓய்வெடுக்க அனைத்து வசதிகளும் செய்து தரப்படும்.

இவ்வாறு சாம்ப சிவ ராவ் தெரிவித்தார்.

NEWS TODAY 21.08.2026