Tuesday, June 22, 2021

At 67, grandma from Guj fulfils dream of a PhD

At 67, grandma from Guj fulfils dream of a PhD

Vadodara:22.06.2021

She had dreamt of becoming a doctor after a Parsi businessman told her father that she was brilliant in academics. But Usha Lodaya had to abandon her aspirations after she got married at the age of 20, reports TusharTere.

Almost five decades later, it was the fruition of a long-held dream when Usha passed her viva for PhD on Sunday. At 67, Usha, a resident of Harni Road, can finally prefix “Dr” to her name. “It took me almost 50 years to achieve something that I had aspired to when I was a teenager. Though not medical but I did get a doctorate degree,” Usha said. She completed her PhD in Jainism from Maharashtra-based Shatrunjay Academy with focus on the peace tenets preached by the religion.

“I got engaged by the age of 16 but I continued my studies and pursued BSc at Jhunjhunwala College in Mumbai. But I had to quit in the first-year after I got married when I turned 20,” Usha said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NMC task force launches online survey to assess mental health of medical students, faculty

NMC task force launches online survey to assess mental health of medical students, faculty Disability researcher Dr Satendra Singh questione...