Sunday, October 27, 2019

When a mom stitched up her mite

Gokul.Rajendran@timesgroup.com

TOI 27.10.2019

The tense moments of “operation Sujith” on Saturday included a poignant scene of his mother showing great composure to stitch a cloth bag herself to help the rescue team lift her son.

The idea of using the bag to lift the boy out came from a Coimbatore team which was looking for help to stitch the cloth. On coming to know about it, Sujith’s distraught mother Kalamary volunteered since she saw that no tailor was around at that hour. “Yes, I stitched the bag for my son,” said Kalamary later.

However, much to the anguish of the mother and others, the bag did not serve its purpose.

“I had no idea there was an abandoned borewell near my house until my son fell into it,” Kalamary told TOI. The borewell was covered by maize plants and no one in the house except Devaraj, the boy’s paternal grandfather, knew about it. The woman also narrated the moments before her son fell into the well. “Sujith was sleeping near me last evening. He woke up and started playing outside our house. I was busy shifting the cattle when my neighbour screamed and came running to the spot. I too rushed there and to my horror saw my son screaming in the depths of the well,” said Kalamary.

Her elder son B Punith Roshan was also witness to the incident. “He fell into it (borewell) when I was reading outside the house,” said Punith. Everyone in the family and the village regretted their act of not closing the borewell properly. “As it was a joint property, we dug a borewell 600ft deep seven years ago. Since there was no yield, we abandoned it and dumped soil in it. The recent rain loosened it leading to the tragedy,” said Devaraj.



MOTHER’S LOVE: Kalamary stitches a bag for Sujith

No comments:

Post a Comment

NMC task force launches online survey to assess mental health of medical students, faculty

NMC task force launches online survey to assess mental health of medical students, faculty Disability researcher Dr Satendra Singh questione...