Thursday, February 7, 2019

I’m now more grateful towards life; I thought I had lost it: Manisha

World Cancer Day just went by on Feb 4, but Manisha Koirala says her journey of fighting the disease is something she remembers every day

Madhu Daithota  : TOI 07.02.2019

Fans still swoon over the image of her running in an ethereal blue dress in Tu Hi Re from Bombay at the picturesque Bekal Fort located on the Kasargod-Karnataka border. “But I had been coming to Karnataka much before that film. In fact, I’ve been coming to Bengaluru for shoots since my third film. Yalgaar was one of the earliest films I shot for here, which I have fond memories of,” says Manisha Koirala. However, her visit to silicon city this time was about showcasing her true grit. Having successfully battled ovarian cancer, Manisha was there on World Cancer Day (February 4) to share her remarkable tale of recovery. “Like every person who’s just been informed of their illness, I was also not in a state of mind to accept it. My family was shaken up. As a celebrity, there’s often a dilemma about whether or not to share the news of your illness with the public. It’s an individual choice, but I wanted to share it and that helped build a wider support system,” says Manisha.


Manisha Koirala

Value yourself and look after yourself, says Manisha

Manisha adds, “At the time I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, there wasn’t anybody whom I could look to for inspiration and that’s when I resolved to come out with my truth and speak to the world.”

From battling stigma attached to cancer and her capability to work in the initial days of being diagnosed, to playing a cancer victim as Nargis in the recent Sanjay Dutt biopic, Sanju, Manisha’s come a long way. “Of course, having gone through such a tough journey, when I was offered a role in Sanju, I was in a quandary. For one, I had to play the legendary Nargisji. I also had to relive painful memories. I accepted the film with a little apprehension, but it was just one scene where the cancer is actually spoken about, so I managed to deal with it,” adds Manisha. However, with her trademark smile, the actor confesses that cancer has bestowed her with three gifts. “The first is to value yourself and look after yourself. The second is gratitude towards life, which I thought I had lost. The third is to cherish your family and loved ones, who stand by you in your toughest times,” Manisha signs off.


Manisha Koirala

WHEN I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH CANCER, THERE WASN’T ANYBODY WHO I COULD LOOK TO FOR INSPIRATION AND THAT’S WHEN I RESOLVED TO COME OUT WITH MY TRUTH AND SPEAK TO THE WORLD

— Manisha Koirala

No comments:

Post a Comment

NEWS TODAY 30.09.2024