Friday, September 21, 2018

‘I WAS THE BIGGEST OBSTACLE I HAD TO OVERCOME IN MY LIFE’

Sidharthan.V@timesgroup.com 21.09.2018

I am truly glad to be among youth and college students of Tamil Nadu, we have a course to charter, and that’s why I am here. There is an unspoken government order banning me from entering colleges. I hope this makes you as angry as it makes me. I want you to go back to your colleges and let others know that the government is concerned that when you and I get together, we might make a new Tamil Nadu, and that is scaring them,” began Kamal Haasan addressing the students of different colleges and young entrepreneurs at Sri Krishna College of Engineering and Technology, in Coimbatore, recently. He added, “No one has the right to stop you and me from conversing with each other, we will continue our conversations. The government thinks we need an auditorium or institution for us to get together and have a chat, but we don’t need all that, even an open ground is enough for us, you gather anywhere, I will break all the barriers and come to meet you,” as the audience in the auditorium erupted.

Talking about people who ask him not to talk politics in educational institutions, he said, “I heard that there are few colleges that have ‘do not discuss politics within the campus’ in its prospectus. I don’t find that right at all. What will the students who have chosen political science as their degree discuss in college? Politics is something that will have a huge impact in your life in future, you have to understand what this is and for that you need to discuss politics, so that you are able to assess what is right. I am stressing on it so much because I should have entered politics when I was your age, but I didn’t. I apologise for that. The reason why I am persuading you to enter politics is because you shouldn’t be regretting later that you should have entered politics earlier, like me. If the current political scenario can be changed, it can only be done by youngsters. The existing politicians can only make it better, but we can’t change it.”

The legendary actor-turned-politician also answered several questions from students and entrepreneurs. When he was quizzed about overcoming unemployment, he answered, “There are one crore newly graduated students coming out college every year in India, but is there job to accommodate every one of them? The number of government jobs are decreasing by the day, private organisations are on the rise, small-scale industries are also rising. The world is not going to be filled with workers, but with entrepreneurs — such a change is on the anvil. Pursue what you like, it is not necessary to like what you study, but that education is definitely going to help. The only way forward to beat unemployment is through small industries and micro entrepreneurs.”


KAMAL HAASAN

I did not choose acting, it chose me: Kamal Haasan

Answering a question on the biggest obstacle he has had to overcome in life, Kamal said, “Me; I was the biggest obstacle I had to overcome in life. Nobody stood in my way; everybody was ready to help me. I had too many good teachers, I have been a lucky man and inspite of it, if my progress has been slow it is only because of me. To overcome me was the most difficult thing, and I think I have managed to do it.”

When quizzed about how dirty politics is, and how he is going to survive, he said, “I was taught to be clean by my parents, but on the way to my school the streets used to be very dirty, people defecate publicly, so do animals. But I can’t stop going to the school, my education is in that corner and in between people are defecating, I will tap dance, step over it, but I will reach my destination.”

Talking about the importance of agriculture he said, “Agriculture and education are the two departments we need to improve in as a nation, the rest will fall in place, businessmen and entrepreneurs have no choice but to follow. We have to take care of our land and soil, the fauna and flora of our land is what will feed us. Extracting hydrocarbon is also important, but if it is a fertile agricultural land, please let that be even if you find diamonds beneath it, because during drought you can only depend on what grows above the soil and not the ones beneath it.”

On acting he said, “I did not choose acting, it chose me. I was at an age where I had no choice, I was three. The truth is that acting chose me and I liked it because it was one good way of getting out of school. A good actor should watch people around him, an actor is no less than a writer, poet or any person who is artistic. There is no subject that is taboo to him and beyond his comprehension. He will become that, if he doesn’t know he will learn. The beauty of being an actor is that he will learn a bit about all the roles he plays, when an actor plays a doctor, he will at least become a compounder or nurse by the time he finishes playing the role.”


Kamal Haasan

THE BEAUTY OF BEING AN ACTOR IS THAT HE WILL LEARN A BIT ABOUT ALL THE ROLES HE PLAYS, WHEN AN ACTOR PLAYS A DOCTOR, HE WILL AT LEAST BECOME A COMPOUNDER OR NURSE BY THE TIME HE FINISHES PLAYING THE ROLE AGRICULTURE AND EDUCATION ARE THE TWO DEPARTMENTS WE NEED TO IMPROVE IN AS A NATION, THE REST WILL FALL IN PLACE...

No comments:

Post a Comment

CMRL’s first driverless train ready.

CMRL’s first driverless train ready. The train will likely arrive at the Poonamallee depot by mid-October, say CMRL officials. It will be op...