Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Story of grit: Ethiraj College opens doors to corporation school topper

Shruti.Suresh@timesgroup.com

Chennai: 30.05.2018


Having overcomethe death of her father to ace the Class XII exams with 1176 marks, a corporation school student realised her dream by landing the first seat of the BCom programme at Ethiraj College on the opening day of the admission process on Tuesday.

On May 17, TOI had reported that Pavitha Preethi, a student of the Corporation Girls Higher Secondary School, Saidapet, emerged among the toppers despite the loss of her father in a road accident three months earlier and a financial crunch. On Tuesday, the chairman of EthirajCollege,VMMuralidharan, admitted her to the first seat for the BCom programme. “I called her up as soon asI readthe news report. She wantedtostudy here andshedeserved this for all her hard work,” said Muralidharan who told Pavitha to continue her brilliant performance. The college received over 3,500 applications for the 70 BCom seats, said a department staff.

Braving the odds, the IAS aspirant worked hard, supported by her sister Nikhitha. “She constantly told me that our father was still here supporting me and that I should make him proud. Today, I feel that he is with meeven now,” said an emotionalPavitha. “I am thankfulto my family and teachers who pushed me to work hard despite the circumstances and, today, it has paid off,” she added.

“I plan to finish my course and then work for a year before I become eligible to write the UPSC exam,” Pavitha told TOI. Officers IAS Academy has offered Pavitha a three-year UPSC training programme free of cost, besides taking responsibility of her semester fees. “The newspaper report helped identify her talent. She is well-deserving and was in need of support for her education when we reached out to her,” said KTS Mugundan, vice president, Officers IAS Academy. 



Pavitha Preethi gets awarded first seat for BCom programme


No comments:

Post a Comment

NEWS TODAY 22.04.2024