Sunday, November 12, 2017

Little-known viral fever now sends children to doctors

TNN | Nov 11, 2017, 07:21 IST



CHENNAI: It is the season of fever,but doctors are also dealing with an influx of child patients with a little-known viral infection that has the symptoms of dengue and chicken pox. Since 2010 when hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD), caused by a virus found in the intestine, made a comeback, doctors in Chennai have recorded a three-fold rise in cases. "Although we now see HFMD cases throughout the year,it usually peaks in summer.

This time, the pattern seems different. In the last one week alone I've seen aroundseven cases," saidDr Deepa Hariharan, neonatologist at Sooriya Hospital.Thoughfrom thesamefamily thatcausesfoot and mouth disease in cattle, in humans, it affects children in the 1-11 age group and is uncommon in adults. Caused by viruses of the picornaviridae family,it can spread when a person comes in contact with the mucus, saliva, or faeces of an infected person.

In rarecases,it may require hospitalisation; in very rare cases, it can be fatal as patients can develop complications like encephalitis, meningitis or paralysis, inflammations of lungs or hemorrhage. In most cases, intervention is rarely required, said Dr S Balasubramanian, medical director of Kanchi Kamakoti Childs Trust Hospital, adding that they received atleastthree cases a day. "You just wait till it goes away, which takes 10-12 days," he said. HFMD causes fever, diarrohoea, sore throat and lesions in the palms, soles and mouth. "Doctors sometimes misdiagnose it and give children antibiotics. There are no tests to confirm, or medicines to heal, HFMD," saidDr Balasubramanian.

Doctors say HFMD typically spreads in enclosed spaces like classrooms. "It usually occurs in pre-school andkindergarten children as their resistance level is low," Dr Hariharan said. Patients with high fever are given paracetamol, and those with rashes are prescribed anti-allergens. In the the 2010 outbreak, health experts tried to study the virus butthe projecthit a dead-end for want of samples.

1 comment:

  1. I have being on blog Sites for a while now and today I felt like I should share my story because I was a victim too. I had HIV for 6 years and i never thought I would ever get a cure I had and this made it impossible for me to get married to the man I was supposed to get married to even after 2 years of relationship he broke up with me when he finds out I was HIV positive. So I got to know about Dr. Itua on Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got a cured and let her contact details, I contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and I decided to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 soon and I am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Disease…Colo_Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid, Get Your Ex Back, If you have (A just reach him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967)He can also advise you on how to handle some marital's issues. He's a good man.

    ReplyDelete

NEET PG 2024 Exam Pattern REVISED, NMC Issues Official Notice; Here’s All You Need To Know

NEET PG 2024 Exam Pattern REVISED, NMC Issues Official Notice; Here’s All You Need To Know The NEET PG 2024 is scheduled to take place on Ju...