Tuesday, August 14, 2018

‘Party will be ruined under Stalin’s leadership’

My Father’s Loyalists Are All With Me, Says Alagiri

Barely a week after the death of DMK chief M Karunanidhi, ugly sibling rivalry resurfaced with estranged leader M K Alagiri swearing that loyalists of his father were with him. In an interview to Julie Mariappan, the rebel leader who was expelled from DMK in 2014 said his brother and DMK working president M K Stalin lacked the leadership qualities of their father.

Why did you choose to express your grievance at your father’s burial site on the Marina?

I have nursed the grievance for long and I could only express it today.

People say express your feelings to god and I have done precisely that, to my god (father).

My father will punish them (the wrong-doers). You will know what I am talking about within six months.

But you were expelled from the party by your father.

Yes, my father expelled me. But people instigated him. I conveyed that grievance to him today.

Isn’t your family helping you to get back into the party?

That is wrong information spread by the media. The family has not taken any effort and I am unaware of what their motives are.

Had the party chief been alive, do you think he would have taken you back into the DMK?

Certainly. He knew me, my hard work very well, and that I had fetched many victories for the party. Winning or losing is immaterial, but I put in a lot of hard work for the party. I was in charge of Andipatti (assembly constituency) when (former chief minister) Jayalalithaa contested twice. The leader (Jayalalithaa) was nervous and campaigned for two more days. Her own functionaries admitted this.

Are you saying Stalin is opposed to your being taken back into the party?

How can I blame him alone? The family members could have colluded too. I don’t know.

What do you think of the party now?

Things are getting worse day by day. The outcome of the R K Nagar bypoll (in which DMK candidate lost deposit) is an example.

The party will be ruined under Stalin’s leadership. You will see the (disastrous) results soon. DMK leaders are in touch with actor Rajinikanth.

There were opinions, divergent views, and disagreements among many sections, but ‘thalaivar’ (Karunanidhi) steered the party by embracing every one. That’s his style. His opponents too were treated affectionately and encouraged to work for the party. Stalin lacks such tactics. He has one group and does not bother about others.

Why were you expelled in the first place?

There was an organizational election and many applications (of my supporters) were rejected. The members contested not because I told them to do so. They (Stalin and his men) wanted their loyalists in plum posts and I questioned that. I rallied behind (the rejected ones) and wanted them to contest because at the end of the day everyone will say ‘Kalaignar vazhga’ (Long Live Karunanidhi). But they cheated my father.



They (Stalin and his men) wanted their loyalists in plum posts and I questioned that. I rallied behind (the rejected ones) and wanted them to contest because at the end of the day everyone will say ‘Kalaignar vazhga’

M K Alagiri

No comments:

Post a Comment

With 37,000 medical students giving details about their mental health illnesses, worried NMC

With 37,000 medical students giving details about their mental health illnesses, worried NMC 3 min read 12 May 2024, 03:37 PM IST Priyanka S...