Friday, August 3, 2018

‘I’m being targeted for bringing in reforms’

Former Anna University controller of examinations G V Uma, the prime accused in the DVAC case of a racket of professors and examiners taking money to rig re-evaluation marks told TOI that she has been falsely implicated in the case for bringing in reforms in the system. Excerpts from an interview on Thursday:

You are accused of taking Rs10,000 each for re-evaluation of papers.

It’s completely false. I have no link to this scandal. If anything has happened at the lower level, I’m unaware of it. I’m not connected with any money transaction.

As the controller of examinations, you had barred 1,100 examiners in November 2017, as there were huge variations between marks given during primary evaluation and re-evaluation.

I believe I’m targeted for bringing in reforms. I’m yet to recover from this. I have transparently given the details of re-evaluation data to media regularly. Boldly I gave 10 years data. So I have nothing to hide. Every reform has been done after taking the approval of senior officials. I have implemented perfect systems. Earlier it was not well-defined. During evaluation, we have taken affidavits from teachers that they would give marks only as per the key.

Has the vice-chancellor spoken to you?

I met the VC and briefed him today morning.

How do so many Anna University students who flunk pass after re-evaluation?

Educational pedagogy is such that no two teachers give the same mark for the same paper. At the state level there were 64 lakh answer sheets, of which only 16,000 had mark change (referring to the April/May 2017 exam).

When records show 73,000 failed students passed after reevaluation, how can you say only 16,000 got higher marks?

I’m talking about grade variation (meaning 16,000 got a new grade after re-evaluation).

No comments:

Post a Comment

NEWS TODAY 22.09.2024