Sunday, March 22, 2015

Medico with transplanted kidney graduates from KMC

Twenty-three-year-old Muthassir Arafath feels like he’s just finished fighting a war.

The medical student from Dharmapuri, who underwent a kidney transplant last November, has now graduated from Government Kilpauk Medical College (KMC), and finally, over two years after his diagnosis, can heave a sigh of relief. “It started in my third year, with terrible headaches and vomiting,” says Arafath. At first, he went for an eye check-up but when that turned out to be normal, he was referred to a general physician.

To his immense shock and that of his family’s, he was diagnosed with end-stage kidney failure. The disease had been completely asymptomatic until the very end.

“We went to KMC and discussed my condition with a nephrologist. I was told I had only two options — dialysis or a transplant,” he says.

For the next 14 months, Arafath would constantly run across the road from his college to the hospital, three times a week, for a five-hour dialysis session.

“I tried to make sure my postings were in the morning. In the afternoon, I had classes, and then from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m., there was dialysis,” he says.His mother, a homemaker, came to the city, and staying in a guest room in his hostel, took care of him throughout the ordeal.

“My friends, especially my roommates, helped me with my studies and everything else,” he says.

Arafath had registered with Government Stanley Hospital for a cadaver organ. “I am O+ve, and in my family, my father is the only other person with the same blood type,” he says.





No comments:

Post a Comment

NMC task force launches online survey to assess mental health of medical students, faculty

NMC task force launches online survey to assess mental health of medical students, faculty Disability researcher Dr Satendra Singh questione...