Sunday, October 29, 2017

A Chennai mechanic with over 1,000 followers


By Roshne Balasubramanian  |  Express News Service  |   Published: 27th October 2017 10:06 PM  |  

Elite 50 Scott Foil Rio Bike
CHENNAI: There are number of cyclists in the city who prefer high-end endurance cycles over the ones that are used on a daily basis. But there aren’t enough technicians and bike mechanics who have the skill and experience to repair and fix them. At least, that’s what we thought, until we met Mujeebur Rehman, the master mechanic and technician who today, is the only go-to expert for anyone with a high-end cycle in the city.
Now operating from Pro-bikers, OMR, the 40-something mechanic, fondly called as Rehman Bhai, is all about hard work, perseverance and modesty.
 A vintage cycle
In 1985, a 12-year-old Rehman moved to Chennai from Nellore along with his mother for a job. “My father passed away when I was four. So, we decided to come here to look for opportunities,” he recalls.
After reaching the city, a young Rehman began working in a tea shop. “From washing glasses to serving tea, I did it all,” he shares. “But the money wasn’t sufficient. So I joined a small cycle shop after which I landed in Balaji cycles in Saidapet. That was the turning point in my life.”
He credits almost all of his skills to ‘Bala sir’ — the owner of Balaji Cycle world.
“When I first joined his shop, he used to give me tasks that seemed impossible to finish. But, he would push me to find solutions. I used to stay up all night and think about it. The next day, I would resolve the glitch! I had the best mentor,” he explains. “Now I work under Suresh Kumar, the second gen owner. I am lucky to have had support from both ends — owner and customers.”
Servicing, assembling and dismantling are his therapy and his favourite place is the workshop. “I spend more time here than at home. You see that light and chair there? I made it!” he beams pointing to a ‘DIY’ light and chair made out of cycle frames. “I keep doing things like this,” he laughs.
chair made out of a cycle frame
The most sought-after mechanic was also the only technician from India who travelled to Taiwan for a workshop training by Shimano, last year. But the icing on the cake was assembling the envious ‘Elite 50 Scott Foil Rio Bike’ in Pro-bikers.
“The frame is exclusive; only 50 are made in the world. And there are only two in India. I assembled one of them and it’s displayed here,” he says pointing to the flashy frame that won Scott the Rio Olympics.
Mujeebur works on cycles that cost anything from Rs 2 lakh and above, which are mainly used for long rides. The self-taught mechanic has been associated with cycle enthusiasts who ride across the country and the world, including the famous LEL (London-Edinburgh-London) stretch. “They all come here before and after their ride. Their trust in me makes me work harder and sometimes it overwhelms me!” shares Mujeebur, who has also worked in servicing cycles of celebrities including Actor Ajith.
With over 1,000 followers on his Facebook profile, he’s the celebrity mechanic in the city. But, he shies away from all the attention. “My customers say that I am the best mechanic in the country. That’s why I even have people from cities like Bengaluru and Mumbai come to me,” adds Rehman.
For details, visit his FB profile: rehmanbai.probikes

No comments:

Post a Comment

NMC task force launches online survey to assess mental health of medical students, faculty

NMC task force launches online survey to assess mental health of medical students, faculty Disability researcher Dr Satendra Singh questione...